1999 9-3 Speaker Upgrade Problem

I recently blew out one of my front door speakers. The dealer wanted $250 to replace it so I thought I would get a nice set of Alpines instead. I bought a set of Alpine SPR-174As and had them professionally installed.

And they sound terrible. I have completely lost my midrange. The tweeters(dash) and bass(rear)are too prominent and the Alpines are barely audible at normal volume. When I turn up the volume to get any sound out of them they sound flat and distorted.

I had read the guide at

whichled me to believe I could just drop in some speakers. Then I read
which raised the questionof an impedance problem since the Alpines are 4Ohms and I believe thesystem is 2Ohms. The Alpines are not very efficient (87dB) so thatadds to the problem. The Alpines are a full range speaker whereas Ibelieve the head unit is only pushing midrange/bass frequencies tothem.

So now what? I don't want to replace the head unit so I am guessing I have to:

A. Add/Replace an Amp and rewire the whole car B. Find a quality 2Ohm Midrange/Bass Driver (if they exist) C. Go back to the dealer for the $250 stock paper cone driver

Any suggestions?

Reply to
sanity2k2