1999 9-5 high-beams not staying on?

Any idea why I can get my high beams to come on, but not _stay_ on? They only come on now if I hold the stalk towards me which obviously isn't going to work for me long term. The headlight switch is set all the way to on, all four bulbs do light (low and high on both sides - I think - I can't be in the car and outside but the reflection changes on both sides). What am I overlooking?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Had exactly that symptom 3-4 years ago on my 93 9k. Intermittent to begin with but gradually became worse. Temperature-related too.

It turned out to be one of the relay units placed in a box near the battery. It may have had some french text on it... Anyway, after I gave the internal vertically mounted PCB a thorough treatment with the soldering iron _and_ new solder, the symptom went away for good.

I don't think it was a relay afterall, just a control circuit. Quite large.

Regards, Frode

Reply to
Frode

Well, it is about -22C outside at the moment. Could very well be.

Ah. If that's the same mechanism they've been using since the days of the Saab 96, then I know the mechanism. Thank you, I'll go look at that now and have a look, and report any interesting findings.

mvh, Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

-17 here, which is why I didnt go out to check out the color and other details for you ...

Not on my 78 99, that one looks entirely different, and still works like new!

The unit I mean is traditional all plastic, possibly double-size, and mostly contains power-electronics stuff-

vh, Frode

Reply to
Frode

I understand completely, my friend.

Of course...

I just got in from doing my wife's vehicle's battery - as soon as I can warm up a bit I'll head back out for that one.

Thanks again, Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz