2001 9-3 starter problems

I'm having problems with my 2001 9-3 and my dealer's service department can't figure out how to fix it. (I'm going to the dealer because the problem is covered by warranty.)Four times over the last 8 months, my car hasn't been able to start. It's not an end-of-the-earth problem. But it's pretty annoying. Here's what happens: I put the key in the ignition, turn it and the engine does nothing. No clicks, no hum. Nothing. But the air-conditioner works, as does the radio. And the lights turn on. But then, if I let the car sit for 30 minutes or so, I can start it right up without any problem. I've tried to think about if there are any commonalities among the different times the problem has happened. There's only one I can point to. It always seems to happen after a short drive -- to the gas station or the market; and that's after the car has been sitting for a while, either overnight in my driveway or all day in my parking garage at work. So far, the dealer has replaced the battery once and the starter twice. But because they can't replicate the problem, they say they can't figure out how to fix it. But I've got to believe that I'm not the only human being on the face of the planet that this has happened to. Is anyone out there aware of such a problem affecting other Saabs? And if so, what's the solution? (And I'm sorry in advance if there's already been a long posting on this problem before. I was unable to find it. Please point me in the right direction if such as post exists.) Thanks.

Reply to
seattlejay

tell the service manager what the car is doing and leave it there . maybe have a tech take it home overnight usually it will happen and they can figure out whats wrong. I have a mercedes that did the exact same thing. it was a mystery for over a year until finally the car would not start at all. they found the problem was in the electonic key. this could be your problem but the only way to find it is to leave the car until it does it for the tech. good luck papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

Thanks Papa. I actually did leave the car with them, and the service manager did take it home overnight. But because the problem is so intermittent, he wasn't able to re-create it. It's frustrating because when it happens next time, I'll bring it in and they won't be able to re-create it then either. As I mentioned, it's only happened four times in the last eight months. So it's hard to re-create. I've been reading some other Saab sites and my problem sounds similar to one I've seen described elsewhere. The problem in that case was a failure of a check valve located in the top of the fuel pump. Evidently, the check valve in the fuel line stuck open causing lack of fuel pressure. And the problem occured after the car had been sitting for a while or overnight. The fuel pressure leaked down causing the fuel pump to have to work very hard to push the fuel from the tank to the fuel rail. They say it's similar to vapor lock but not quite. The solution, in that case, was to replace the fuel pump check valve. Does that sound like it could be the problem here? Thanks again for the help.

Reply to
seattlejay

No. That wouldn't prevent the engine from cranking. It would just fail to fire.

If it was mine, I'd start putting in some temporary status lights so I could tell how far the starter signal is getting. I'd probably start with one on the starter solenoid terminal and one on the Ignition switch start terminal. Then, next time it happens, you'll get a little bit more info from the lights. It'll be a long job, I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Then bring it back to the dealer or demand a saab rep gets involved. This way you will secure your warranty.they have all kinds of codes and tests they can perform on that saab. Sounds to me like they are just being lazy. I would put a call into saab and tell them your having a problem. They are great on good will and will get on it for you right away.They will work with the dealer to get your problem resolved. The saab rep visits each dealer at least once a week or you can call the 800 no in the back of your saab owners manual. Believe me when I tell you the service dept will stand at attention when they find out you want to see a rep. Good luck papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give 'em shot and see what happens.

Reply to
seattlejay

What transmission do you have in this car?

Steve

Reply to
Scrowe

Automatic.

Reply to
seattlejay

I am a Saab dealer tech. We had a customer with the same problem. We tried everthing. Finally did a trans range switch and that seemed to fix the problem. One of the techs at our other location had seen this before. I also had the same problem with a 2000 9-5 Aero. Again, after several attempts, I did a range switch and the problem has not returned.

The trans range switch is locate on the trans on the shift shaft. It is a PIA to replace and expensive as well at about $400.00 US.

Good luck, Steve

Reply to
Scrowe

Thanks Steve. I'll bring this message string into the service rep and see what he thinks. It's good to know that I'm not the only person who's ever had this problem. If you've seen it documented anywhere else and can point me to it, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to go back to my service guy with as my information as possible. Thanks again.

Reply to
seattlejay

As I said befor seattlejay if this car is under warranty you should not be trying to diagnose this problem yourself. You should stop trying to reason with your service rep,who just thinks your a pain in the ass and do what I told you to do. The service rep could care less as long as you go away. Look how much youve been inconvienced already with a problem that is not yours. Call the saab rep and let them fix the car they sold you. best regards papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

Good call. The range switch tells the ECU to lock-out the starter if not in P or N. Might try goofing the signal to the CPU box before digging in and replacing the switch.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound