2001 93 Saab auto trans, engine won't turn but lights will, battery isn't bad. Only after i drive somewhere and the engine was previously running, not when the car has been sitting for a while

I have a 2001 Saab 93. which is a standard trans. 4 times now, only when i have driven somewhere, got out of the car to go shopping or whatever for 15-20 minutes, i come back to the car and it will not start. This never happens if the car has been sitting. It only happens after i drive somewhere. What happens is the lights will turn on and I will get display pannel also up and working, so i dont' think it's the battery because the electric stuff does turn on, But the engine will not turn on. Does this car have an ignition lock that i don't know about and there is some trick to it? Or is there something more major? Please help me or ask more question that i am forgetting. Eventually the car does start up after like 25 times!!!

Reply to
stephen.luchko

I can't say for sure about your '01, but for many older (mid '90's) SAABs that is the very typical symptom of a bad ignition switch. The electrical (switch contacts) part of the switch could be replaced on those and the keyed mechanical part retained. Not sure if that is true for yours.

Reply to
Fred W

Sounds like a bad Neutral Safety Switch on top of the tranny. I had the exact same problem that would occur at least a couple of times per week. I had the switch replaced two months ago and it's been perfect ever since.

Hello stephen.luchko,

Reply to
spd6104

i think im an idiot, i was reading through my manual and if i hit any button on the key when it is lock in the on position the car will start regardless. I did that and it worked. I hope thats the onlye problem. Has that every happened to anyone?

spd6104 wrote:

Reply to
stephen.luchko

I have no idea what you are describing :-) but if you lock a Saab with the remote then it will not start until you unlock it with a remote.

Perhaps that answers your question?

Reply to
- Bob -