2002 2.3t belt tensioner loud noise

Does it make sense that the belt tensioner in a 2002 9.5 with a 2.3t engine with 50,000 miles makes an extremely loud grinding noise when it suddenly goes bad?

Reply to
Roy

Sounds perfectly logical to me.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Thanks. Opened the hood a few minutes ago and found ground-up aluminum particles around that area. Is it safe to drive it to the garage (about 15 miles) in this condition?

Reply to
Roy

I don't think I'd want to drive it that far myself.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Thanks.

Reply to
Roy

What are the chances that the alternator pulley went bad instead?

Reply to
Roy

The pulley ? You can inspect the pulley wheel itself easily enough.

I see what you mean though. Aside from the tensioner there's a 'jocket wheel' too on the serpentine belt isn't there. I doubt that the alternator bearing's likely to go though.

It's always possible. Anything's *possible* I guess ! I gather that the tensioner is the classic culprit though.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It turned out to be the alternator. A very bad design which has an extended pulley and therefore the belt tension broke it loose from its shaft. When the mechanics removed it, the pulley was turning very loosely on the shaft. I wonder if there were recalls on such stupid design.

Reply to
Roy