2002 9.3 Speedo ceased to work..

... Then came back for 26 miles before dying again.

Mechanic says that the speedo works through the traction control unit, but that his computer says it has 'no connection'.

Anyone had this happen? If so, how was it resolved?

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

I believe it actually works off the ABS sensor, which is also used to detect wheel spin for traction control. In most cars traction control is done not be adjusting actual traction but by hammering the slipping wheel with the ABS.

The usual failure mode for Saab speedos, tachs, etc is that the speedo itself dies. One cheap test is to whack the dash on top really hard with your hand while driving. If the speedo starts working, you likely need a cluster.

Reply to
me

On the 9-3 Sports Saloon, it will brake a spinning wheel then reduce engine output by, I seem to recall, reducing boost pressure (bit hazy on the precise details of how it reduces power but it's a bit academic).

Reply to
DervMan

ABS module dead! repair available via EBAY.

Reply to
saablordusa