2002 9-5 no driver side high beam

I have no driver side high beam. There is nothing wrong with the bulb. I think there is something wrong with the wire. Is there a place where I can find wiring schematics for this car? Thx.

Reply to
Hanson Grumann

Check the fuse. I recall that the headlights are fused independantly

Reply to
Fred W

This is a non-Aero, right? So you don't have the xenon bulbs?

The xenon bulbs on the Aero don't have a separate high beam. They have a single bulb with a "shutter" that drops down over the bulb to prevent light from shining out at higher angles. *IF* you have the xenon bulbs, then I would suspect the servo that controls the shutter.

Reply to
Gary Fritz

I'm not sure about 2002 9-5s, but my 2001 9-3 has the infamous Hella lamp-fail sensor, which tends to fail itself, causing the fault it's supposed to detect.

It looks like a relay, but it's orange. It'll probably be in a fuse/relay box under the bonnet. Try thumping the box. If the light busts into life, then the sensor is almost certainly the culprit.

The standard failure mode is for the solder joints between the PCB and the base to crack, so re-flowing them fixes it.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Linear. No xenon and no servo.

Reply to
Hanson Grumann

The fuses seem to be intact (good).

Reply to
Hanson Grumann

I had this problem with my 9000.

Yes, resoldering does it. Thankfully.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

This will be old news to regulars (and likely to Hanson), but I just struggled with an absent low beam on my 97 900SEt. Checked the interior fuses, slapped a voltmeter on the connectors, no current. Read a number of comments about the "orange relay", so I popped open the relay box under the hood, and.....more fuses. Popped #10 (LH Low Beam) and had the culprit. Relays were fine.

For other brand new SAAB-be's: there are TWO fuseboxes! Check both.....

Are other folks having problems with the plastic headlamp connectors literally crumbling inside the headlamp bucket?

Neil O'C

Reply to
Neil O'C

Colin, I'd like to thak you for helping to fix my car. The problem was exactly where you suggested, the orange Hella lamp sensor digital relay made in Germany. Someone suggested to replace the two transistors on the board (one is PNP the other is NPN) and also replacing the two 8-pin IC chips, they only cost a few cents at Digikey.com; but since I didn't want to wait for the parts, I resoldered the solder joints as you suggested and now the lamp fail sensor works like a charm. Thangs again for your kind help and I also wish to thank all the others who were willing to help.

As it turns out, this orange lamp sensor is put together very poorly because I see that there are many people out there who have the same problem. I had the problem fixed in about 5 minutes. I wonder how many poor souls out there pay the car dealer large sums of money to fix this small problem.

Thanks, guys.... :)

Reply to
Jasper Witt

No probs :o)

You did the right thing leaving the transistors and op-amps as they were. If there was a problem with any of those, the symptoms would be different - either false alarms or failure to detect real blown bulbs. If it actually stops a headlight working, it can only be the solder joints or the current shunts, which are just bits of metal.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp