2002 9-5 stalling randomly

Anybody else having problems with 2002 Saab 9-5 2.3l stalling randomly? Why is that may be happening?

Reply to
nospam

I have had problems with warm start-ups with my 2001 Saab 9-5. The problem always occurs when I am out running errands. I'll drive two or three places, get in the car to go to a third of fourth destination, then the engine won't start. It's not the battery. Everything including the lights, dashboard, stereo, etc. light up, but when the key is turned the engine refuses to turn over. My Saab mechanic doesn't think it's the starter- as it's not a usual Saab issue. We've been troubleshooting the issue for the last month -- thankfully he's conservative and doesn't recommend unnecessary repairs. But, we still don't know why my car won't start up sometimes. He wonders if it's the theft alarm causing an issue. I've had "Service Theft Alarm" appear on the SID a few times....

Is this the same issue you are having? If so, does anyone out there have any clue as to what may be causing the problem? Hope we get this solved, as it's a major pain to not have my car start!

Also, for any Southern California folks I highly recommend my mechanics at the Swedish Car Center in Venice Beach, CA. They are amazing, and very reasonable. Each time I've taken my car in for service the mechanics spend more than ample time with me on the phone and in person discussing my car. They don't treat me like a typical garage. They go over each and every issue, and describe exactly what they are doing and why! The last phone call I received lasted for over 15 minutes. I've been very impressed with their service.

Reply to
Amanda

nospam explained on 01/06/2008 :

Could be idle control valve sticky. Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Turnbull

The truth is, we are not sure what is our issue. We were thinking about the DI Cassette but we don't have any trouble codes. Perhaps your mechanic friends in Venice Beach can tell us where to look? :)

Reply to
nospam

We have the same symptoms which started AFTER I changed the spark plugs and I noticed that the plugs I got at the parts store were NOT the same as the plugs I removed. I read somewhere that such minor difference may be the cause of such problems. Have you done anything to your car BEFORE you got these symptoms?

Reply to
nospam

NGK ... sorry don't know the exact number. But ... you must use only NGK.

Cheers Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

I did use NGK and they were resistor plugs (which I believe is required for the DI Cassette) but I know that the numbers did not match 100%. Maybe one set was hotter/colder than the other.

Reply to
nospam

You MUST fit the proper approved Saab plugs or the Trionic ECU cannot work properly.

For the 9000 with the similar engine these must be a special NGK type made only for Saab.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

For my 9000 the correct NGK part is BCPR7ES-11.

Your 9-5 almost certainly has a later model Trionic ECU (what's the DI cassette colour ?) and may require a slightly different plug, I'm honestly not sure but a Saab dealer would know ! Where did you buy the plugs you just fitted ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 12:13:40 -0400, Eeyore wrote (in article ):

I dunno--would the wrong plugs allow the vehicle to start, then to not start after it warms up?

Something to consider: My 05 9-5 utterly refused to start after about 45 minutes of stop/go and highway driving--symptoms sound like the original poster. had it taken to a dealership, and they determined the problem to be a crank shaft temperature sensor (they ran the engine until it was hot then cooled the shaft down with water; lo and behold, it started right up). Sensor was replaced under warranty, no problems since then.

- Dean C.

Reply to
Dean Costello

Unknown to me but not inconceivable. The way Trionic works (which is probably the most advanced ECU on the planet) it uses the plugs to measure fuel/cylinder gas ionisation levels from which it calculates the correct fuel mixture to use.!

No 'check engine' warning ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The DI cassette colour which, by the way, was replaced in a recall is black. I bought the plugs at Advanced Auto Parts in the U.S. I believe the engine type is B235E and the plugs I removed were the same plugs you use in the

9000, but if I recall correctly, I know for sure that I replaced them with NGK resistor plugs which had different numbers
Reply to
nospam

Out of curiosity, what is the advantage of these types of plugs?

Nothing. The dealership it was taken to said the only way they knew what the problem could be was to take active steps--they didn't get any information from the onboard computer.

- Dean C.

Reply to
Dean Costello

This sounds like a very reasonable question!

Well, the 'check engine' light did come on when the engine stalled but when checking for codes with the OBD-II reader, there were none stored to speak of!

When you say 'crank shaft temperature sensor' do you really mean 'crankshaft position sensor'? I never heard of a crankshaft temperature sensor. The oil pan is full with synthetic oil so there is no worry for sludge - which can cause the crankshaft to cook - so when the car has the proper oil in it why would such sensor overheat? I am affraid I am completely ignorant on this part

Reply to
nospam

This might be a bit different than what happened to me.

After driving for 45 minutes or so, I went into a quik-e-mart for a diet Mountain Dew and some jerkey; figure about 4-5 minutes total. I came out, the engine cranked and cranked, but would not turn over. So, it didn't stall but simply did not start.

The dealership explained to me that it was a temperature sensor--apparently it is a fallback in case you keep driving the car when the engine overheats. If the temperature at the crankshaft gets too high, the engine automatically shuts down. My sensor apparently was on the blink, they replaced it, and no problems after that.

That said...I did have a heater valve problem about a month ago which led to a small cloud of steam to come out from under the hood at a stoplight. I am somewhat lucky that the car is still under warranty and that there is a dealership repair shop about 10 miles from my office. Still...

- Dean C.

Reply to
Dean Costello

I think you just hit the nail on the head. The car does have a bad thermostat in it and if, indeed, it overheated, this may explain the mystery of the hard start :) Thanks for all the information you provided, Dean :)

Reply to
nospam

Well, we took the car to the dealer, which they had for two days and they claimed the couldn't find anything wrong with it. We don't know what to believe anymore :(

Reply to
nospam

Hi,

you need a new 'crank shaft speed censor'. I had the same problem, this cured it. Saab charged me =A3160.00

regards

Reply to
ray.bonner