2004 Saab 9-3 Need Socket Tool To Remove Calipers To Replace Brakes

I need to replace my rotors and rear brakes for my wifes 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero. The dealership as you know wants $520. I bought new brake pads for $69 and will have the rotors turned. When trying to get the calipers off, I noticed that it needs a special wrench to get those off. Where can I find this tool. Nobody seems to know at the dealership or online. The calipers are GM parts and roughly fits a 9/16 wrench, but won't come off with that. Someone out there help me find this tool.

.Jesse San Francisco

Reply to
djkellykane

Hadn't heard of a special tool for those, are you on the right bolt?

See if eeuroparts.com has something for you, they're a great resource for the current stuff.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Im trying to remove the two bolts on the inside of the caliper that i believe hold it on. The bolt has six sides to it. It's a star shape bolt. Maybe someone who reads this can tell me if they have had the same problem. If the bolt is on their really tight is their a special tool that will help get in there and losen it.

Thannnks

Reply to
djkellykane

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

It sounds like a torx head bolt for a image of a socket see

based on your prior 9/16 inch size, it probably is a E16 size.

Reply to
Stephen B.

That looks like it. Will I have to use an impact wrench (think that's what their called)? I would not be able to get in with a impact tool. Can I use that on a normal socket wrench? How do the mechanics get in those tight spots It sounds like a torx head bolt for a image of a socket see

Reply to
djkellykane

wrote

Torx head tools are available in lots of configurations. Go to a good tool source and you should find a selection of sockets, fixed wrenches, ratcheting wrenches and probably others I have not thought of. Just make sure you get the right size, I guesstimated the size in my prior post.

Reply to
Stephen B.

They're not normally done up any tighter than wheel nuts. I've never needed anything more than a short extension to the ratchet handle to get them off. Don't forget to find out the right torque for them and check if they need thread-locking when you do them back up.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Go to Sears. Buy a set of Craftsman Torx bits. You will need them if you are going to work on a Saab much.

Reply to
- Bob -