85 900T Clutch slave rebuild/replace

We have a 1985 900 T w/about 185k miles. Clutch slave is gone. I do not want to put $600 in this car. That is what a new clutch costs and they say if you replace slave cylinder, replace everything.

We are looking to upgrade to 9000 turbos when we find a pair.

It looks as if most of the cost is parts, little labor. Clutch worked fine until slave went.

It does not look as if there is a lot of labor involved in replacing the clutch slave, although it is certainly a lot more than rebuilding the clutch slave on the V4 engines!

Thoughts, advice?

Charles

Reply to
Charles

Crazy reasoning. Good for their profits though ! Maybe not so crazy after all ? Sounds like they're taking the piss. Do you look rich ?

If the slave cyl just needs a set of new seals then the parts cost is probably about $10.

A garage won't do that of course since they need to cover themselves. A new clutch slave cyl costs about £40 here in the UK.

Basically most of the quoted cost is labour. Get another quote I'd suggest.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

If it's only replacing the leaking seal in the slave cyl. it should not cost so much...

BS, see

True, in the 900 you need to depress the pressure plate lever springs to get the slave cyl. out, and that is difficult to do if there's no oil pressure. It can be done with a crow bar though. See

MH