86 900S loss of power from idle to 1st gear

My mechanic can figure out why my car stalls from idle to first gear. It only happens after a rain, and a cold night, or I do not drive the car for

3 days with some cold weather. It is a hard start usually, but not always. And of course it never happens when my mechanic has the car. :(

So I have replaced the

  1. air mass meter
  2. New temp sensor for fuel injection
  3. new computer used
  4. checked the fuel pump pressure cold and hot.

next he is going to replace the fuel pressure gauge.

Please help, as I have already spent 400 and still have the problem. I love my car, but not only if it runs well.

Thanks

Taylor

Reply to
taylorp

Automatic or manual? First thing I'd do is clean the throttle body, also wouldn't hurt to clean out the idle speed valve.

Reply to
James Sweet

it is Manual... have you seen this sort of thing before. It is so random.

Reply to
taylorp

it is Manual... have you seen this sort of thing before. It is so random.

Reply to
taylorp

I've seen similar problems caused by corroded grounds and other bad connections, intermittent problems are usually electrical.

Reply to
James Sweet

I had a similar rough running/stalling problem early on with my '86 c900. After a few clueless mechanics replaced the injectors, and the rotor, a competent mechanic solved the problem by replacing the PCV (Positive Crankcase Valve?). It's run fine since then.

--Paul

Reply to
P K

All of the grounds and connections have been checked as that does make sense from an engineering perspective.

If anyone else has other ideas I am open to hearing them. At this point I am still going to replace the fuel pressure gauge, unless anyone is sure that is not the problem.

Thanks for your help so far

Taylor

Reply to
taylorp

What component are you referring to as the 'fuel pressure gauge'?

Reply to
Grunff

In article , snipped-for-privacy@tp3d.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

My C900 has started doing this recently. First run of the morning, goes fine into gear, idles fine, clutch up, little gas, starts to move, and wants to stall, if I can hold it from stalling, it goes into fast idle (about 1200 revs for a minute or two), if it stall it goes to normal idle on restart and drives fine. Cleaned the AIC about 6 months ago, and the intercooler, throttle body and pipe work about 2 months ago. Guess the AIC needs a re-clean.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Maybe it is called the fuel pressure regulator, not guage. Or maybe I have two machanics who are pulling the wool over my eyes.

Taylor

Reply to
taylorp

It's gotta be, they don't have a fuel pressure guage, never seen a car that did.

Reply to
James Sweet

The fuel pressure regulator is an easy item to test - it's not one where replacement is the only option. If your mechanic can't be bothered to test things like this then I'd seriously question their ability to repair your fault.

As for your original question - what is the condition of your ignition system?

Reply to
Grunff