87 900T Convertable has no heat.. Brrrrrrrr

I have changed the t-stat in hopes of an easy fix, but no cigar. Can anyone tell me what my next move should be? And how to do it? I'm somewhat mechanically challenged, but not a complete boob. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Not A Mechanic

Let me make a couple guesses. You, or someone else, recently did work behind the dashboard. Installed a radio or something. Your dashboard insert where the ...heater control... is, was pulled out, towards the back of the car. Am I right?

Based on that assumption, do this:

  1. remove your left dashboard speaker grille/air vent. 2 screws, probably torx on a '87. The tool is in your toolkit under the trunk upper floor.
  2. Look through the windshield, for the rod coming from your heater control rod. Notice that it's not on the heater valve, because it pulled off when you or someone else was working on the dashboard.
  3. Use your long skinny arm (or find someone with one) to reach into that speaker grille hole while putting the conrol rod back onto the heater valve. You may need to take out those 4 long vertical screws, or at least the right two of them, to get the dash insert where you need it to get wiggle room here.

Note that the end of the control shaft, and the valve, are D-shaped. If you don't line up the flats on both of 'em, it won't go on.

Did I guess right?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

There is a valve which controls the flow of coolant through the heater core. It may be blocked or not opening. On my 85 900 it is under the dash near the rear of the radio to the left. Hard to get to and harder to replace. You may be able to reach the valve and twist it open until you can replace it in warmer weather.

Reply to
darthpup

The radio was missing when I bought the car, so someone may have screwed things up back there. I will try to perform the operation as it is explained. Wish me luck. I'll let you know how it turns out. While we are talking about the radio not being there, are ther any adapters available to put in a new one or do I need to find something like what came out of it? Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Not A Mechanic

The radio was missing when I bought the car, so someone may have screwed things up back there. I will try to perform the operation as it is explained. Wish me luck. I'll let you know how it turns out. While we are talking about the radio not being there, are ther any adapters available to put in a new one or do I need to find something like what came out of it? Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Not A Mechanic

Bingo!

No worries. Even if you can't get the shaft on there, as the other guy says - just turn the valve itself to "warm" (clockwise) until you can find the long-skinny-armed person. It's really not all that bad, but it's easier the second time, once you know how it all feels in there.

crutchfield.com has adapters, or used to. Top-notch support and equipment.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

If there is just a big hole where the radio was, then you can see the back of the heater control knob and see the rod connected to it. Then you can also feel if that rod is loose on the other end (way below under the left side speaker).

Modern radios have an ISO connector. If your car's cabling is still original, that is: nothing cut off, you can buy an adaptor that is ISO on one side and SAAB 900 on the other side (actually two connectors).

Reply to
MH

Thanks all!!! If I fail, I'll be back. If I succeed I'll be back.

Reply to
Not A Mechanic

Gentlemen, There be whales on board! Thanks so much! It was the knuckle that was off the rod to the valve. Thanks again, Bob

Reply to
Not A Mechanic

Where?

What?

Great. Bob owes us each a beer.

No problem - you'll have more questions. We've all screwed up enough things that, between us, we've probably fixed whatever you'll break next.

Dave "only half-kidding" Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Why, are you Norwegian, or Japanese... ?

Reply to
MH

Reply to
water modem

Ever watch the Star Trek Movie about the whales?

Reply to
Not A Mechanic

I remember that you can reach the heater valve by removing the left hand side radio grill. You will be able to see the valve and determine whether the shaft is connected as well as turn the valve on manually.

Reply to
darthpup

Yes, everything there is still original.

Reply to
Not A Mechanic

eBay

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yup. So, "Captain - there be whales here" then?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Then your guess is as good as mine

Reply to
Not A Mechanic

Could you please include a bit of who and what you're responding to? Replies without context are hard to understand.

Reply to
Dave Hinz