89 900 T sputters at 1/4 tank

Whenever the old '89 900T gets down to about or just below a 1/4 tank on the fuel gauge the thing starts sputtering like it's running out of fuel or something. It does it every time it gets below the 1/4 mark on the tank but runs fine if you keep the gauge higher then that. Any ideas what might be the issue that appears to be related to fuel tank level?

TIA

Reply to
John

in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, John at snipped-for-privacy@myhmg.org wrote on 06/04/2007 02:29:

Are you certain that you are not genuinely running out of fuel? The gauges do not always tell the truth :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Or the rear fuel pump ist kaput.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Two good answers were already presented, so I will go for the easy third suggestion: Have you replaced the fuel filter within the last 30K miles? A clogged fuel filter might cause this problem and cause a fuel pump failure, particularly when the car is of this age. You might wonder how I know about failures in older vehicles...

Walt Kienzle

1991 9000T

Reply to
Walt Kienzle

All 3 sound good. Water build up is another possibility. I'd prob try a couple of tanks with a high octane ethanol blend or plan b add a couple of litres of metho to each of two tankfuls of your normal fuel and run that through. If it's water that should purge it, but you'll almost certainly be needing a new fuel filter afterwards because it'll flush any other gunk and rubbish out of your fuel delivery system too! Cheers

message news:20070406.7A598E8.7CE1@[EMAIL PROTECTED]

wrote

or

Reply to
hippo

We have run a few tanks of 'good' fuel along with water treatment and it still does it. I've thought about the fuel pump but what is the magic behind it only happening when it gets to a 1/4 tank?

Reply to
John

If it only does it once the gauge shows 1/4 full or less then either:

  1. As posted previously the gauge is inaccurate and it is actually running out of fuel, or
  2. There is a problem with the fuel pickup in the tank not getting the last of the fuel properly?

Not sure of the pickup configuration on the 900, but on the injected 99 there is a rubber connector between the pump and pickup which can disintegrate with age. If it failed completely it would be impossible for the pump to get the last 1/4 tank or so. As I say, the 900 may be completely different though...

Mark

Reply to
MarkA

my car does same thing. 1985 900s. my gauge doesn't work but when it gets down to about 4-6 gal left in tank it sputters also. I have became accustomed to putting gas in when tripdometer reaches 200 miles. If you fix I would be interested in what worked for you. I tried a can of water remover but it didn't help me.

rod

Reply to
Rod H

Yes, I've tried the water remover too. When I get a chance I'm going to swap fuel pumps with another 900T in the yard and see if that dows anything. Those fuel pumps are expensive and I don't want to throw the money at it if that isn't the problem. The other 900T runs fine so if I swap pumps that will tell me for sure. I suspect it is the pump, just puzzeled about the magic of the 1/4 tank thing. I'll post back here if the pump swap resolves the issue, especially if it moves the problem to the other vehicle....

Reply to
John