9-3 2001 SE Radio won't come on with ignition question

Recently and for no apparent reason, the radio will not automatically come on with the engine and needs to manually be turned on every time. Oddly, if I leave my cell phone in the "in-car" kit, the radio will come back on as long as the phone had not turned off. One could argue that I should not be a lazy bum and just reach over, true but this seems to be a lost function. The dealer is also as stumped as I am. I tried all the funky codes (mute+power, wb+power, etc) but to no avail. The installers don't know what to make of it either. Also note that when the phone would eventually power down on its own, the radio would light up (turn on) and start playing. This was kind of spooky as we would hear music inside the garage and wonder where it came from.

Anyone out there have any thoughts?

Cheers,

Spyder

Reply to
Spyderman

The radio is looking for a signal on the plug in interface to tell it to go to telephone mode... Now when it does that, it *ought* to say something like "telephone active" or whatever...

I'd pull the radio (you can get the cheap removal tools at autozone, etc). I'd also check the connection to the cell phone (the plugin kit connector in the back), I'd make sure that it is fastened tightly.

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey White

Thanks, I've forwarded this along to my dealer as I will be in Europe for 3 weeks and they will have my car to "play around with".

Cheers,

Spyder

Reply to
Spyderman

It turned out to be the SAAB phone module which is used with in car kits. It was finally replaced under warranty and "problem solved"

Cheers mates,

Spyder

Reply to
Spyderman