9-3 Aero woes

I've had my 2004 9-3 Aero with the 7 speed auto box for three months now, Its done 5,000 miles. AND I HATE IT It's the worst car I have ever driven!! Its road holding with the reAxe is superb, its ride although harsh picks up all the imperfections on the road and it tramlines on the motorways, you are constantly fighting to keep it in a straight line on the granny lane. You could live with all this because its a sporty car, but not with that auto box.

This box ruins an otherwise good car. There is a 2 second delay between gearchanges. Even in semi-auto mode there is a delay and sometimes it will not change up if the revs are too high. Other times it will not kick down. This is definately not sporty driving. For a 210bhp car, its regularly left standing by the average kids in hot hatches.

Its been to the dealer 3 times, all they did was change the accelerator sensor and told me that the car was working fine. (Furneux of Houghton Regis). I only got the auto because the brochure convinced me that it was as good as a manual. As its a company car I have another 6 months to go with this car and I shall not get another Saab. I can't see why it got voted Top Gear car of the year.

Reply to
news.cable.ntlworld.com

Inner motorways lanes often have deep groves from heavy lorries (M4, M25). They can catch your car like rails.

7 speed auto? Sounds like the auto doesn't suit this car.
Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

It's only a 5 speed auto on the Aero's? A 6 speed auto is available on the 1.9 TiD's 150bhp version.

Reply to
murphwiz

no, the auto is indeed a 7 speed (well, actually a 5 plus 2)...it has two more intermediate gears on the aero which is supposed to improve acceleration.

Reply to
Alistair

This may be the fault of the tires, not the car itself. My 9-5 Aero started traminling badly when I switched to Pirelli PZero Nero all-season radials. The original tires didn't do this at all.

Boy, does that sound familiar. If you've seen any of my rants on my

9-5 Aero, you've seen me complain about the 1.5-2.0 sec delay between gearchanges. But this is with a manual gearbox, not the 9-3's auto. At least on the 9-5 Aero, the problem is not the transmission, but the turbo. They use such a big turbo it takes forever to spin up. And for some reason when you shift and the engine spins down, they blow off the exhaust fumes in such a way that the turbo also spins down -- instantly. So after each shift you have the same 2 second delay.

I don't know if the 9-3 Aero has the same problem with the turbo, but it sure sounds like my 9-5 Aero.

Hell, I'm often left standing by cowboys in pickup trucks and sometimes even soccer moms in minivans. When your acceleration goes to near zero for 2 seconds, you fall waaaay behind. Once the turbo spins up, the car slams you into the seat, but you have a lot of catching up to do -- and then you have another 2sec pause after the next shift, etc.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

this does concern me a little though, I'm picking up my TiD 150 vector in 5 days time...and it's an auto...hope I haven't made a mistake.

Reply to
Alistair

Can't find any info about this '7' speed trans, sounds like dealer speak for the torque convertor lockups?

Reply to
murphwiz

The 7 speed auto is referred to as the "Sentronic +2" and is only available on the 9-3 Aero HOT. It has 2 paddles on the steering for use in semi auto mode. To quote the brochure " Two extra intermediate gears permit faster acceleration in automatic mode and provides even sportier driving." A LOAD OF RUBBISH!! The Aero HOT should have never been built with this box. If Saab wanted an auto box on the Aero they should have gone the same route as the Golf GTi DSG 6 speed automatic, I have driven one and the quick gear change makes my Aero feel like an old Mercedes taxi.

Luton_Lad

Reply to
news.cable.ntlworld.com

I don't think the delay in the gearchange is to do with the turbo as the 9-3 doesn't seem to suffer from turbo lag. I've noticed that the turbo gauge shows midrange most of the time which is indicative of the turbo being constantly on low boost which I believe is one method that Saab use to eliminate turbo lag on the 9-3.

Luton_Lad

Reply to
news.cable.ntlworld.com

beginning to sound worse and worse for me..

I'm going from a 325 sport auto BMW, which has a fantastic auto box, to what

*might* turn out to be a complete hunk of s**te in the shape of a saab...oh well...lessons learnt and all that..
Reply to
Alistair

It is possible that the car was voted Top Gear car of the year when it was tested with a manual transmission - not an automatic. I prefer a manual transmission in a car with a turbo - you can take full advantage of the turbo by keeping your rpms up because you choose when to shift.

Reply to
ma_twain

advantage

shift.

Not with the 9-5 Aero, you can't. The instant you let off the gas and hit the clutch to shift, the turbo **instantly** spins down. No matter how fast I shift, I can't get it into the next gear before the turbo gauge drops. A Saab service person, who seemed to know what he was talking about, said this was done intentionally to reduce pollution. Don't know if that's true or not, but it sure destroys the car's performance in shifting situations.

Alistair, I don't know much about the 9-3. In the 9-5 world, only the Aero has the huge slow-to-spin-up turbo. The lower models have smaller turbos that deliver less steady-state horsepower, but they spin up much faster. Your Vector might not have the lag problem. Can't say how the automatic gearbox will perform, though.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

Reply to
Sheldon Rabin

it's a 5 speed for the petrol versions, a 6 speed for the diesel (150 only) and 7 speed for the aero

Reply to
Alistair

Not the US Aero. Mine is a 5 speed.

Reply to
Shane Almeida

The UK Aero is definitely 7 speed, You can hear the engine and watch the revs drop on the rev counter on hard acceleration with a delay between changes.

Luton_lad

Reply to
news.cable.ntlworld.com

Can you select all 7 with the Sentronic?

Reply to
Shane Almeida

Why did you buy a 9-3 Aero with an automatic? So far I am overall very impressed with the 9-3 Aero Manual.

Reply to
dxyzc

Grippy tires will do this. Complain to your public works department.

Preload the shifter then execute a fast clutch/shift.

Road races are not won off the line.

Go buy a Honda Civic then.

If you are on a curvy road, take them in the corners.

Reply to
dxyzc

Maybe you should have test drove tthe car before you bought. Either way, enjoy what you have; its a state of mind.

Reply to
dxyzc