9-3 gas cap & engine warning light

I'm driving a 2003 Saab 9-3 where the engine warning light remains ON at all times. Four vists between two local Saab dealers has resulted in them replacing the gas cap twice. A diagnotic check (they plug the computer into a panel under the steering wheel) each time has indicated a poor vapor lock in the fuel system - caused by the gas cap. They cannot solve the problem and insist I am not turning the cap enough times after refueling. Each visit they have not been ab;e to get the warnign to turn off either. SO they are as helpless as me. :) Has anyone else had this issue? What was your solution/discovery? Thanks for your replies. Car drives fine, by the way, even though the warning light remains ON.

Reply to
ctsaaber
[posted and mailed]

"ctsaaber" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

I certainly don't mean to draw a comparison between the two vehicles, but I had the same problem with my Chevy Venture. Replaced the gas cap twice and still had the check engine light indicating poor vapor lock. Didn't really notice any impact on performance. Finally they replaced the fuel filter and did a throttle body service and the problem went away.

G.

Reply to
GetBent

My car is too old to have the fuel cap connected to the Check Engine light, but as I was working on something else one day, I noticed that a hose to the fuel vapor recovery canister was disconnected. The canister on my 9000 is hidden in the fender well, so it isn't something that is normally examined. All non-antique cars have this canister and if the connections are broken either at the canister or anywhere along the line from the fuel tank, you will no longer have a sealed fuel system. This will allow pollution causing fuel vapors to escape into the atmosphere. FYI, all US cars from model year

1996 on monitor this as part of the OBD II diagnostic system.

Walt Kienzle

1991 9000T
Reply to
Walt Kienzle