9-3 gas mileage?

I'm wondering about the 9-3's real world gas mileage. Any reports? I'm interested in the earlier models, '99-2002 or whatever.

Matt O.

Reply to
Matt O'Toole

I have a 2001 ,4 cylinder ,auto trans. and get over 30 on the highway and around 27-28 in surburban driving, When there is less highwaydriving it is around 24-25 All in all I'm quite satisified with fuel economy

Art

Reply to
Arthur

My '02 SE hatch, auto gets 25 in mixed driving and 30 or more hiway - as long as I keep my foot from being heavy on the pedal - that's on premium.

Reply to
Nilsa & Barry

My '01 9-3 (5 speed) averages 23-26 mpg in all "city" driving.

Reply to
J. Harris

My '99 9-3 FPT goes about 23 mpg in small town traffic and 33-35 mpg in highway. That's little over 10l/100km in city and 6.5 - 7 l/100km in highway.

My mpg record is 41mpg in highway (100miles roundtrip, steady 50mph, no stops). That equals to 5.8l/100km.

Figures are in US gallons and US miles :)

BR:Z

Reply to
Zon

I test-drove a dealer's 9-3 in early 2002. Did about 70 miles on UK back roads (clear and then with stop-start traffic). I drive light-footed and got almost 45mpg (by the meter) or 37.47mpg US.

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Are these numbers based on the computer display or by dividing miles driven by gallons at fillup?

I drove Ford Crown Vic once and the computer display showed numbers from

9 MPG to 70 MPG, which I did not believe for >
Reply to
ma_twain

Good point! These numbers come from computer, but I have checked the accuracy with old fashioned method. I'm lucky to have accurate one :)

BR:Z

Reply to
Zon

My understanding was that the Fords calculated current (this instant) mileage, not an average mileage. That accounted for some wild swings in the meter.

Reply to
Bob

My other car has an analog cage for instant fuel consumption, and the arm waves like a wind mill!

BR:Z

Reply to
Zon

Yes, now that that would be a BMW, wouldn't it? But you were afraid to mention it for fear of being chastized by this group of raving SAAB lunatics, right? Well, don't be so wimpy! Go ahead and copme clean...

"Hi my name is Zon (or John, or Fred, whatever...) and I drive a SAAB *AND* a BMW and I like them both!!

-Fred W '93 9000 CSET '94 540iA '95 325i

00' 9-3 SE CV
Reply to
Fred W.

well, yes, I guess I have to admit you are right ...

That's right. Both brands seem to have, how should I say it in English, kind of passionate fans ... Not even close to Citroen fans, though. I was almost executed in the past, when I mentioned something good about competing brand to Citroen club members.

Since I was exposed, I guess I can make a confession. Here we go:

Hi, My name is Zon and I drive both Saab _and_ BMW, and I just love them both! (and those brands are superior to anything! Ooops)

Hoooo, Do I dare to leave the office anymore... SSS, AAA, BBB, MMM or WWW may be waiting for me...

Good to see that I'm not the only one whose wandering ...

BR:Z

Reply to
Zon

Hell no. I've owned 4 different SAABs and 3 different BMWs over the years, along with a strange array of other cars and trucks and I keep coming back to these 2 brands. My take is this:

The SAAB turbo engine is awesome. I don't know how they did it (way back then) with sucjh a simple yet elegant design. Incredible torque from a measly ~2000 cc engine. Heck, motorcycle engines get that big these days.

BMWs handle like no other cars available. If you haven't owned and driven one regularly you just can't appreciate it. The car one car I owned which approached it was a 92 SAAB 9000 T, but the front wheel drive and torque-steer spoiled it.

Now here's a wild idea. What about taking a decent BMW chassis ( say an old E30 from the early '90's) and dropping a SAAB Turbo 2.3l in, but orient it inline (vs transverse) with a nice 5 speed? Man, if I could patent that set-up I know it would sell in bunches...

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Hey, this ain't no friggin support group. Take your confessions elsewhere!

:-)

Bob

Reply to
Bob

It's a pity, in a way, that Skoda quality has improved. Some of the jokes were quite clever -- even funny.

Q: What do you call a Skoda at the top of a steep hill? A: A miracle.

Q: What do you call two Skodas at the top of a steep hill? A: A mirage.

Q: What do you call a Skoda with twin exhausts? A: A wheel-barrow.

Such a precious cultural heritage should not be lost. Which car marque can we transfer these jokes to?

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

In article , snipped-for-privacy@deltrak.demon.co.uk spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Don't know. But you know something, the actual build quality was good, and the reliability was fine if properly maintained.

One of the favourite failures was not running proper coolant mixes in the alloy blocked engines, causing corrosion, wearing away of the water pump fins, and ultimatly headgasket failure.

Does that sound in any way familiar?

Things were basic, in the way that up until the late eighties, early

90's a mini was basic. Didn;t stop the mini selling, but unfortunatly skoda had a design that dated worse than it's engineering.

Prices of the old rear engined ones are actually on the rise. Youngsters see the few that remain, and think "Oh wow, what is that" and are too young to remember the old gags, and have never seen Skoda as bad.

2 years ago, I had the pick of several sub £200 cars with MOT when I was looking, now the Favorit has reached that stage, but the Estelle and Rapid are now in the £500-800 price range for a good one. A mint one, or especially a Cabriolet, or genuine sport version (about 95bhp at the wheels) can fetch well over a grand. The older S100/110/1000 models over here in mint condition are in the several thousands mark for a good one.

Think how C900 prices have changed generally in the past year.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I had a ford probe with an instantaneous fuel MPG readout. Those numbers can be real. Foot to the floor, turbo full on, you got less than 10 MPG, coasting down hill, you could get 50 or 60 if not more. Average is the kicker...

Would like to have seen instantaneous fuel MPG on the saab...

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey White