9-3 performance upgrade

I have a 9-3, a 2001 model year base model with a 2.0t 185 hp engine and a manual transmission. What are the possibilities of making a performance upgrade to increase the horsepower and torque to 210/221 which is what is currently offered on the model year 2006 9-3 models? I test-drove one at a dealership and I felt that it was definitely quicker than my saab.

Is it a common solution to increase turbo pressure? Will the turbo gauge go into the red territory or is there a way to recalibrate it? The factory warranty has already expired so I am not concerned about the warranty but rather future longevity.

I did a few searches on saabnet.com and in this group but did not find much about this model. Is is a part of FAQ's archived somewhere?

Thank you!

Reply to
saab_aka

In message , saab_aka writes

Have a look in

- a friendly bunch who should be able to point you in the right direction. There is a specific forum there for the 9-3 plus another on performance tuning.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Sinclair

dan

*Any* tuning mod to increase power has a potentially adverse effect on longevity.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Potential? Sure.

But since the only difference between the 185 and 210hp versions of that engine are higher boost, and considering that you only go to max boost when you press the right pedal down firmly (which is to say not all that often) there is not much downside of going to the higher boost level.

Going for anything above that might be a problem longevity-wise though.

Reply to
Fred W

You can install a manual boot controller (MBC) or upgrade the ECU. Manual controller is crude but effective - but only for those who don't mind a little risk and have some mechanical ability. Cost is less than $100. You can also get an upgraded ECU - cost is $500 & up. Much safer, actually more "plug-n-play", but more money.

If you really want to get some benefit from the MBC or ECU change, you should be thinking about modifying the air intake for more flow and installing a Saab "sport" exhaust if you do not have one. Other modes include porting the throttle body & intake pipes and maybe a larger intercooler if you really want to start cranking it up.

lastly, along with engine upgrades you might consider doing a little to the suspension. Koni shocks are a good idea. Rear Sway bar, steering rack brace, subframe support,harder bushings and lowering springs if you want that.

Check here is you are in the USA:

ECU -

-

Bob

Thanks to everybody who responded. I want to make sure I understand the benefits of the ECU upgrade Bob commented on below. In other words, I

**will** be able to increase HP from 185HP to 210HP with the ECU upgrade but to go above 210HP I would need the other modifications such as the air intake and the sport exhaust, right?

Or is it my wishful thinking that the ECU upgrade alone will get me the extra 25 HP? The website partsforsaab.com sells stage 1 (+36 hp) and stage 2 (+39 hp) packages. Stage 2 adds only 3 hp but costs $600 more to add the air intake and cat converter. My only explanation for the $/hp ratio differences is that the stage 1 projected hp increase assumes I already have some modified air intake and cat converter. And that, in reality, I will add much less than 36 HP with the stage 1 upgrade and maybe nothing given that I am not upgrading the air intake and cat converter?

Also why is there a difference in prices between ECU units on different websites? Are some better than the others?

Thanks, dyz

Reply to
saab_aka

I don't know of anyone who has used that kit. Sounds interesting but I don't know anyone who's tried it. Question for you: what is the color of the DI cassette on top of yor engine ? It's the large piece that covers the middle of the engine, on top of the spark plugs.

I definitely think you should look at doing the air intake ($10 misc parts plus $40 for a K&N - easy DIY if you are handy with basic tools) and the exhaust ($400 for a sport exhaust. Don't worry about the cat. I've never heard of anyone below 250HP changine the cat. A 3" downpipe is the next step if you want to get to serious HP along with other mods but I don't think you need to consider that. You can do the ECU w/o the othe mods - you just don't get as much out of it.

There does not seem to be any relationship between quality and price, within a certain range. For example maptun.com sells ECU's for about $500 as far as I recall and they are used by lots of folks with great results. abbottracing.com sells their ECU's for much more and I am not aware of any advantage (everything they sell seems to be priced higher). There is also nordic Saab with US & Europe sites. If you don't have a URL for them I can get you one.

Reply to
Bob

It is black, the same color as the original one replaced in a recent recall.

Thank you for your help Bob. Is the ECU upgrade relatively easy, just plug-and-play, follow the instructions or does it require some special knowledge/tools?

Reply to
saab_aka

If it is black I believe you have a T7 Trionic system. T7's require ECU upgrades, no manual boost controls. Make sure whatever you buy is for the T7 trionic.

Pretty much plug-n-play. Basically you are just letting the computer operate differently. No other changes are "required" except that most kits come with a new BPV. The BPV is used to relieve the excess boost pressure when you take your foot off the gas and the stock one tends to go bad when you bump the boost pressure. You can change it in 2 minutes with a screwdriver and/or small socket wrench. Some folks send you a new ECU, you send your old one back as a core. Some reprogram yours.

FYI - If you decide to do the exhaust, Saab exhausts are the easiest in the work to work on - I changed mine in 45 minutes and that included a short drive to the local hardware store to get a couple bolts as well as the time to get the jack and stands out of and back into the shed. Very DIY. The sport exhaust will not only increase HP just by itself, it is stainless steel and will likely outlast the car. So, it's a good upgrade to do.

If you are going to do some of your own work or mods and you are in the USA, you should know about these sites:

general parts at great prices:

Nordic Saab:
is a Saab dealer that offers Nordic kits. Call and talk to themon the phone if you like. I forget the name of the guy who "talksmods" with you but he is one of the family owners). Genuine Saab:
(above is another dealer. Call parts #, ask for Nick, he does a lot ofmods and is very knowledgeable. He can help you if you are new atthis). They have lots of TSB's and other info/photos on line. Maptun:
Maptun gets lots of respect from the Saab performance world. FYI - do not order from MP Perfomance.

Reply to
Bob

Hey, I might be wrong on the plug-n-play. I just read something that suggested a T7 had to be tied in with the Tech II (dealer service computer). Check with whoever sells you the upgrade to see what they say.

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
mickx