9-5 alarm

I have an '00 9-5 Aero and am getting periodic "service theft alarm" prompts on the SID. When the car is parked and locked, the alarm will periodically activate without provocation.

The dealer - who is usually excellent - can't find anything wrong and doesn't get a fault code from the car.

This is a U.S. car with about 100,000 miles.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you for your help.

Reply to
c. leeds

The usual two faults that trigger this behaviour are;

1) Siren batteries dead

and

2) Tilt sensor faulty.

You can shut the tilt sensor out of the alarm system by pressing the night panel button when leaving the car, SID will bleep and say 'doors only', try doing that for a few weeks to see if the random alarms stop - if they do then it'll be the tilt sensor.

ISTR that 2) will generate a fault code (but you need a Saab dealer with Tech II as generic code readers can't pull the Saab specific B (for Body) codes so if you ask your dealer 'Is it the tilt sensor' and they say no then my money is on the batteries in the siren. The official fix is a new siren module ($$$$!) the unofficial fix is to fit some new batteries - have a look around using Google, it is documented on one of the Saab fora (saabcentral.com I think).

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Sinclair

I can't find the link for it offhand, but I did have the instructions. When the alarm in my '02 Aero started throwing that error, I pulled the siren module and discovered it had changed since the instructions had been posted. It was no longer openable with screws, but heat-welded together. I tried tearing it apart and finally decided I would probably destroy it if I ever got it open.

Since I don't worry much about car theft here, I just had my mechanic clear the error and tell the car not to throw the error any more. I've been running without a siren since then. It has the advantage (or disadvantage, depending on your preference) of locking/unlocking silently now. :-)

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

U.S. models would not have a tilt sensor involved, that is a European option. The siren battery code will set as quick as it will clear, the twice does not store a history code for this.

Reply to
Certainly