9-5 Heating problem survey

I've got a brand new 9-5 Aero, and I have a problem with the heating, but my dealer seems to think everything is working normally. When I have the heating on '27' the air that comes out is warm, but it is not hot. I get plenty of hot air when I set it to "HI", but that defeats the point of ACC! Every other car I have driven with climate control which is set on approx 23 sends out air to keep me warm. (if I was to have set it to the max it got too hot)

What I need to know from other 9-5 owners (lets say 2003/2004 cars only) is:-

Assuming the engine has warmed up and it is 5 degrees C outside.

  1. What temp to you have the ACC set to keep you warm?
  2. If you set the ACC to 27, does the car become VERY hot & stuffy?

Maybe the problem I have described is normal for a 9-5, but I somewhat doubt it.

Thanks for your help

Dave.

Reply to
Dave
20 C setting works fine on 2004 Saab 9.5 Arc
Reply to
Gabriel Shaw

Thanks for the reply, can anyone else advise what their ACC setting is as per my original post please?

Reply to
Dave

Well I have an Audi with climate and noticed that if you have it on auto 18c it much colder than having it on manual 18c, god knows why it should still regulate the temp. My dad bought a 9-5 Aero from ebay last night :) and the temp seems fine at

18c on both the dual climate settings, its a 99 2.3t.

On a side note anyone know the rough price of a new fog light lense front for the above car, I think there quite expensive

Ronny

Reply to
Ronny

In my 2002 9-5 Aero, I normally run my ACC at 70-74 F (21-23 C). It is often the case that I want warmer air, and turning it up all the way to

82F (28C) results in lukewarm air, only very slightly warmer than it was at 70F. Increasing it one notch to HI results in a HUGE increase in air temp. In other words there is no way to get temps anywhere between "lukewarm" and "HI hot." If I want warmer air, I turn it to HI and turn the fan down.

The ACC on my 1988 9000T worked exactly the same way. Apparently Saab has never figured this out.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

I set the ACC at 18°C to 20°C. If I set it any higher I have to roll down the windows.

Why do you need 28°C hot air in the car? Driving naked? :-)

Perhaps Saab assumes people have winter clothes on when driving in winter temperatures?

Anyhow, there are many parameters that can be changed in the ACC using a TECH2 diagnostics computer. I changed some parameters to move the temperature scale down, i.e. have the ACC produce colder air at a set temperature than the factory settings. Heat craving drivers should be able to adjust their ACC in the other direction.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

Thanks for that - My dealer is totally foxed about the problem, but the car is going in next week for some adjustments. What they're adjusting, I don't know! If they can change the parameters as you have suggested, I think that should fix it.

Reply to
Dave

That's nice for you. Obviously you are more warm-blooded than I am.

It's not delivering 28C air as far as I can tell. As I said, there is almost no change in delivered air temp between ACC settings of 70F and

82F. If I'm not warm enough at 70F, then the 82F setting is no better. Then one more notch to HI and suddenly the delivered air temp jumps something like 20-30degF or more.

Ha ha. I don't care if I'm wearing twelve sets of thermal underwear, that has no impact on the delivered air temp. And the delivered air temp does not increase substantially as you increase the ACC temp. Which means you have poor control of the cabin temperature, and it takes a long time to warm the car.

As it happens, I have very poor circulation to my hands. Wearing gloves doesn't help, because (unless it's *really* cold outside) gloves and other forms of insulation only work to hold body heat IN. If my hands are icy cold, gloves only serve to keep OUT the heat in the car.

So I want warm air coming out of the vents to warm my hands. I hold my hands (usually one at a time :-) in front of the vent to thaw them out. At 82F the air is still uncomfortably cool. One click higher at HI and it almost burns my hands. I don't consider that to be very good control.

My 9000 worked exactly the same way. I prefer a simple manual-control heating system so I can make it do what *I* want.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz