9-5 loads of smoke on startup?

Posting on behalf of a friend who has just acquired a 1999 Saab 9-5

2.3t SE with 135,000 miles. The car drives well but when first start up there is plumes of bluish/grey smoke out the exhaust.

The car has a full service history and receipts show that in November

2005 the valve stem oil seals were replaced. Last month work was carried out to check for an oil leak which was located to the cylinder head gasket. The receipts show the head was removed and sent for skimming, a new head set, filter, oil, and antifreeze. The car drives very well but for the smoke on first start up. According to the seller, the garage who did the head work said the smoke is due to the recent work and it will eventually clear its way through the system? I'm having doubts about this as the car has done a couple of thousand miles since the work and is still belching out smoke on start-up!

I've done a quick search and found that smoke on first start up is a common problem with these engines. As its had new valve stem seals and a head set could it be the turbo seals? or the crankcase ventilation problems that I 've read about, but did that just affect the American market or also the UK?

Reply to
redwood

I would have said valve stem seals, but it seems you have done most of the research and looked at all the possible problems. Best taking it to the local garage for them to take it apart again and correct the work they did. I wouldn't have bought a car with a problem like that considering the very high mileage - with or without a service history. It's amazing how many people working in a garage don't even know what a stem seal is. My local main dealers for Vauxhall, Ford and Honda farm the work out to smaller companies that true mechanics work for. Honda the most, especially for things like body repairs!

Reply to
Pete

I've had the same problem on a 2002 9-5. It was a seal problem in the turbo. Luckily the car was still under warranty, I think it was $1500

Reply to
Bjorn E

I had the same symptom at 125k kms on my 2001 SAAB Linear wagon (2.3l light pressure turbo). It turned out to be the turbo and associated seals. The problem is fixed now, after replacing the turbo for $2100 (Canadian). No more smoke, except for the vapour left behind in my bank account ;-( Ouch.

Reply to
Jameskie

Thanks for all replies. Is there any way to pinpoint if it is the turbo or engine problem? I checked the spark plugs and they are bone dry so I don't think it is worn bores / piston rings. The engine smokes badly after first start up and clears after about half a mile. If left for about 20 mins it will smoke again on start up but not as bad as been left for several hours. In the short time of owning the car there has not been any noticeable loss of engine oil but it must be using some oil to cause the clouds of bluish smoke and the exhaust pipe is coated in oil deposits

Reply to
redwood

Check for blocked crankcase breathers. IF it is the turbo seals you will know by leaving it idling for 10 minutes. If it starts to blow white smoke after 5-10 mins its likely to be turbo seals.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Great advice here. The engine, at idle, will maintain oil pressure yet the blower will be still, allowing the oil to pool. Well done Coyoteboy!

T.

Reply to
WOOFER

Ooh :) Thanks! Unfortunately its down to experience - wish i didnt know!

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Remove the air duct feeding the turbocharger. Spin the impeller with your fingers and try to move it side to side and also in and out. The impeller should have no play.

Reply to
yaofeng

Its been my experience that when you have smoke on start up, and then clears up. Spells turbo. not a cheap repair, but if you do it your self, be sure to clean the small turbo line out to clear it of oil, also replace it before it begins to smoke on deceleration, that can lead to another bag of problems, such as loading cat convertor with oil.

Best of luck to you.

Reply to
saab service guy

Is there a knocking at startup when cold?

Red

Reply to
t t

Correction, there should be little play. Oil seals can still be dead though. Remove the duct between the turbo and the inlet and you remove the turbo from the question entirely.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

No it won't. If the turbo is leaking oil on the exhaust side it will still cause smoke from the exhaust.

Reply to
Mike