9-5 SERVICING BY NON-SAAB DEALER

I want to have my 02 Saab 9-5 Aero serviced by a local garage who are not Saab dealers. Can anyone tell me if/how they will be able to reset the service indicator system. They (of course) do not have Tec 2.

Are there any (other) reasons why this is not a good idea. They are local, cheaper, very good etc.

TIA

Reply to
Jim

jim, A good reason is warranty there are some things on a 02 that are still under warranty. also After owning 4 saabs since 1990 and I volvo I have found the dealers to be very compeitive on repairs,sometimes even cheaper, because they go by a saab book on the labor. In other words they charge by whAT SABB RECOMENDS ON THE LABOR FOR THE REPAIR. I found local shops when they dont know the problem will start replacing things that dont need to be replaced anyway that has been my experience good luck papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

"Jim" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Yes! You'll loose the 8 years Saab engine warranty!

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

Baloney!! You will *not* lose your factory warranty, whatever term it is. Just be sure to have all *required* maintenance fully documented wherever you have it done.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

"Malt_Hound" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

And where do you see, that you won't loose the newly expanded 8 years engine-warranty, if you don't use authorized service? I agree that you don't loose your law-admitted warranty. But this 8 years expanded engine warranty, is something speciel provided by Saab and isn't regulated by law.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

All warranties are regulated by law. No warranties are required by law, but once offered, it becomes a part of the sales agreement. Legal precedent has provided that no manufacturer can stipulate warranty coverage eligibility based on whether the routine service was done by the warranter or not. Only that the routine service has to have been accomplished.

This would be covered by anti-trust laws in the US. It would amount to limiting SAAB from drumming up service business through their warranty.

You just can't do that, at least not in the US.

I'm not a lawyer, (and I don't play one on TV) but this is my understanding of the situation.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

"Malt_Hound" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

And you are asuming that everybody "in here" are in the US....

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

No, not at all. I've been around long enough to know better. But I am assuming that consumer protection laws are reasonably close in other developed countries.

Cheers back!

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Funny, I see him specifically saying "at least not in the US", which to me pretty explicitly shows that he acknowledges that everyone here isn't.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

There have been various attempts by manufacturers to get EU rulings that increases their control. I'm not sure how far the state of play is. But attempts have been made to outlaw car body panels and other spares from third parties.

Reply to
Johannes

Can you point saab link that documents this warranty?

Reply to
Dan

"Dan" skrev i en meddelelse news:fYRbe.21$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net...

Only in swedish...