900 Turbo - constant whine

Hi. I recently bought my first Saab, a 1990 900 Turbo (beryl green!) I've been hearing a constant whine coming from the somewhere in the back of the car, much more noticeable with the rear seats folded down. It doesn't vary with RPM or boost, although very occasionally it goes up a note in pitch for just a moment -- possibly with the load of the fan coming on? It starts a few seconds after I start the car. Is this the normal Saab "turbo whine," or should I be worried about belts and/or pulleys, or is it something completely different?

Thanks

Reply to
Ludwig

Electric fuel pump in the tank on its way out...

Reply to
MH

of

In which case probably worth keeping your tank at least 1/4 full at all times to postpone the inevitable as long as possible. BTW, the one in my old 81 used to do it for about 6 years any time there was less than 8L left. It never got any worse in 200k Km though! Cheers

Reply to
hippo

You haven't got the wife/girlfriend/partner in the back have you?

Reply to
Teleman

Ha! At first quick glance I misread 'someone' for 'somewhere' too.

Reply to
MH

in article 43070935$0$1312$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net, Teleman at snipped-for-privacy@nospamegremont.plus.com wrote on 20/08/2005 11:43:

Mine whines from the passenger seat ...

"Can I drive?" "No!" "Can I drive?" "No!" "Can I drive?" "No!"

... Ad nauseum :)

Thing is, "Orca" used to be her car, but once it got damaged, I got my good lady a new car and repaired the old SnAAB for myself and ditched the 900i that I was driving at the time :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday