9000-88 ZF automatic gearbox

Does anybody info about the reason of slow reverse gear on ZF automatic transmission? It takes two-three seconds until reverse gear "connects". The color of oil and the level is normal in the box. Its the second box and this one is over 250 000 driven.

Reply to
Tuomo

I not sure, but my 89 9000s did the same thing,it did that for two years. One cold winter day after we came home from a trip, my son started it up to go somewhere, he did not wait and warm it up since it had sit for awhile and reverse was now gone. I was told I needed a new transmission.I took it to a shop that was going to put a reman trans in. A week later the shop manager called and said trans was on back order. And he would open it up and look while we wait, It was out anyway I said yes why not. What he said was wrong was that the reverse clutch hub has a bushing in the center, that has a hole that leaves oil in to the clutch, it slipped ( turned) and closed off the hole. He took it to a machine shop and had the bushing taken out of the hub and knurled. It has worked for 2 years and 50000 miles later. By the way $2000 LESS than reman trans.

Jean Paul

89 9000s 89 9000t 94 9000 cset
Reply to
Jean Paul

I had the same thing happen on my 83 900T, turned out there was no cheap bushing to replace or re-machine. Needed a rebuild, $3,000. Ouch. Has 50K mi on new tranny no problems now.

You can have a transmission shop check your tranny pressure and adjust clearances, but the only thing to do beyond that is take it apart.

dave

Reply to
David Spear

Thanks a lot for David and Jean

I also got some good links from Finnish newsgroup and I put those below. http://216.78.172.20/transmission_folder/trans_docs.htmhttp://www.jpat.co.uk/jpat_pdfs/ZF%20Acrobat%20files/ZF%20%204HP18.pdfhttp://www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/9000/index.html rgs Tuomo

99 2,0 L -75 99 2,0 GL -83 900 2,0 T8 -85 9000 CC turbo -88 automatic 9-5 2,0t SE -98 automatic

Reply to
Tuomo

Check it http://216.78.172.20/transmission_folder/9kautoflow3.htmhttp://216.78.172.20/transmission_folder/9kautoflow2.htmPossible problem: dirty governor or its seals. How to manual: http://216.78.172.20/transmission_folder/9kgovsealsb.htm romick

Reply to
romick