9000 anniversary alternator

Hi, Boxing Day emergency, all dealers shut!

My 1997 9000 Anniversary 2.0 has just stopped charging. The alternator is high up at the rear of the engine just underneath a meaty engine-to-body stabiliser.

Will it come out upwards if i remove the stabiliser, or are there other complications? I would hope to replace it or at least swap the brushes before i throw myself on the mercy of the main dealer.

Any advice appreciated

Dave

Reply to
David Smart

Dave,

If it is a Bosch alternator 120volt which I believe it is, then you "may" be able to replace the brushes unless the diodes on the alternator are also broken too.

How did the alternator fail? Oil or natural failure?

SG

Reply to
SG

Had to bite the bullet and try it. the answer seems to be a bit of both. you still need underwing access to restrain the belt tensioner and get at the alternator holding bolts which are Allen internal hex.

Therafter youtake the alternator out upwards having first removed the stabiliser strut.

Failure was near catastrophic seizure of back bearing causing it to spin in the alloy casting. Brush replacement academic in the circumstances.

Thanks for suggestions