9000 Central Locking

Hi,

I have a 1994 9000 CD. Just when I thought I was getting on top of all the small probs, another one popped up at the weekend. The central locking has become intermittant. It won't always work from either of the 2 front doors, and even the door lock switch does not always work. Any ideas what it could be ?

Many Thanks and Best Regards

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Andy, I've found that central locking problems are a good barometer of a poor battery.

It's not clear what you mean by "even the door lock switch does not always work".

Adrian

Reply to
SAABurger

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have not noticed any other problems with the battery. Car starts OK (although Voltage gauge shows 10.5v on starting). The locking switch is located by the electric windows buttons. It locks all the doors when pressed (will also unlock them). But I have noticed that this does not always work now.

Could this be a relay problem ? or is the battery a real favourite here ?

Many Thanks and Beat Regards

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Slightly flaky relay?

could be dirt in the contacts, or the relay failing.

The one in my 900 does it occasionally.

Won't lock the passenger door from the drivers, then suddenly starts working again.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Andy,

OK, I understand. This wasn't fitted to my early 9000 CS back in 1992. I have just window and sun-roof switches down there.

My car didn't give any starting problems for several months after the central locking started to play up. With a new battery, both locking and starting went away simultaneously.

Battery remains my favourite, but only due to personal experience. You could always take it to a "tyres/exhausts/battery" place and ask them to put a condition meter across it. I think Humfries (in the UK) are pretty honest. Evidence but not proof - my battery was shot to bits when I went there (Bagshot branch) and the chap still insisted on checking it with the meter just in case the problem was somewhere else.

You could always try giving your battery a low rate boost charge overnight and see if things are better in the morning.

Adrian

Reply to
SAABurger

I have that same problem with my 1995 9000CS. Off and on. It will be fine for weeks, then not lock with the fob or central lock. Then it will start working again. I thought it was the battery, too, but that's been replaced and it still does it although not as much. If I go around and manually lock all the doors, when I come out to unlock them with the key, the second time I turn the key lock/unlock in the driver's door, they'll start working again. From all the comments about this on here, I'm beginning to suspect that the locking system isn't one of Saabs strongest features. It just seems to have a mind of its own.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

Below what right voltage after starting shouls one start worrying about the battery? Mine drops as low as 8.6V sometimes, after having had my alternator gone bad, two monts ago

Nel

Reply to
Nel Frikandel

First, make sure the display is accurate. Have a mechanic check the voltage output shown against actual output he measures. I thought my alternator was dying. Mechanic told me the display is wrong.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

SAABurger wrote: ::: The locking switch is located ..... :: OK, I understand. This wasn't fitted to my early 9000 CS back in :: 1992. I have just window and sun-roof switches down there.

It's because Andy is in the US - "Over here" we still don't need a "lock all doors switch", although many cars have it now.

Cheers! (Henrik from Denmark).

Reply to
Henrik B.

Hi,

Just for records, I am in the UK. I never normally use the central locking switch. Only tried it to see if it locked and unlocked the doors whilst the key would not.

Think I will have to get rid of the car, its becoming a bit of a liability now.

Regards

Andy

Reply to
Andy