9000 cs turbo: heat around car

When i drive for a while and stop the engine, You feel a intense heat coming from under the car if you walk around the right side. Is this normal?

Reply to
Wido van Krieken

"Wido van Krieken" skrev i en meddelelse news:40ce9fc2$0$41751$ snipped-for-privacy@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl...

Try to put your hand on the different wheels, to see if one is hotter than the other - could be a hanging brake.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

No, not normally - but it could simply be that it's spring and you are feeling the temp difference on your legs. Next time it happens - turn the car around and see if the heat is being blow to the left by a breeze.

If you do have a problem (and I'm not saying that you do) my guess would be that your catalitic is getting a lot warmer than normal and that can sometimes mean trouble in the fueling or ignition system. It should throw a engine warning light if it gets really bad though.

Reply to
Dexter J

Or the homokinetic joint. Is the rubber dust cover on the joint still in one piece and is there grease inside?

My 900T started to develop a hot wheel and a high pitched sound after a few km driving. The sound would go away in turns or while just gently putting my foot on the brake. When I checked the wheel, the boot had a large tear and inside it was dry as a bone... I put in new joint grease and patched the boot - no more hot wheel, or sound.

-------- MH

Reply to
MH

Is that "constant velocity" joint in American, or what do you mean?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

yes, CV joint ( the one with the steel balls...)

-------- MH

Reply to
MH

In my experience yes. My 9000 CS non-turbo has always done exactly the same. Adrian

Reply to
SAABurger

I have a 96 CSE FPT, and I noticed this when I bought it. However, there doesn't seem to be a problem, I think ma_twains reply to your 900 cs turbo post above is probably the best one. (Just heat overspill from exhaust, manifold etc.) Theres a helluva lot of energy going on when you hit the loud pedal in one of these!

I know exactly what you mean, there's no way this heat is coming from the wheels.

Al

Reply to
Al

My 9000 cs turbo is the same.

Reply to
Simon

Here's a fun demostration you can use to amaze your friends (assuming your '96 does not have an aluminum heat shield over the turbo as some of the newer models do).

Run around in the car for a while at night sometime, driving rather aggressively, and then pull over and pop the hood. Marvel at the glowing red color of your exhaust manifold and turbo case. Now you know where all that heat is coming from...

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Wahey!! Gonna put a safety glass widow in me bonnet now.....

:-)) Al

Reply to
Al

Could we have an English to 'Merkin translation please?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Oops! got myself very excited there...

I of course meant a window, (not a married lady who's husband has died) and in the USA I believe what we English call a bonnet, is called a hood.

As for Wahey! any equivalent American expression of great delight such as Right On! would do.

I will now take myself outside and give myself a damn good kicking for forgetting the internet is a global community.

Al

Reply to
Al

Oh, not at all, I just thought that "safety glass widow" was something along the lines of "apples and pears" or whatnot, but I couldn't work a rhyme for it that made any sense.

Dave "Although some of them were mildly obscene..." Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of cooling the engine compartment to reduce the heat buildup from the turbo? When I park the car, I open the hood to let the heat escape whenever possible. A thermostat controlled fan and door in a hood right above the turbo might be interesting. Or would the fan melt . .

Reply to
ma_twain

I don't think it is necesarry. This reminds me of the recent thread (here) about desining somethng for cooling the DI cassettes. These engines have been proven to be highly reliable, heat build-up and all. The engineers have obviously taken the exhaust and turbo heat into consideration...

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

All this talk of turbos is fine, but read my earlier post:

"My 9000 CS *non-turbo* has always done exactly the same"

Adrian

Reply to
SAABurger

Dave, I know what you mean't it to mean, but do you realise what a Merkin is mate?

And what it was originally intended for.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yes, and yes. What good are words if you can't play with 'em?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, MeatballTurbo at snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com wrote on 20/06/2004 18:40:

Thank f*ck you said it .. I didn't want to have to explain, but it seems our Dave knows ... :)

BTW, did you go to the SOC up in Keswick?

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday