9000 CSE dash lights

Hello...a couple of times lately the dashboard lights on my 96 9000 (2.3LPT) have either failed to light up as soon as the lights are switched on (but then come on after a few minutes), or they go out and then come on again whilst driving. Clearly this sounds like a dodgy connection somewhere. Are there any favourite places before a total teardown takes place please...?

Thanks,

Reply to
Pidgeonpost

I had a similar problem before with the rotary dimmer switch to adjust the brightness of the lights. You could try to prise it out & clean the contacting surfaces of it (very fine emery cloth should do it) or replace it. At the same time check the plug connection to the back of the dimmer.

hth

kds :-)

Reply to
king doodle squat

I just had the same problem on my 95 9000. I cleaned the rheostat dimmer switch, but it only worked for a few days. I ended up replacing it and solved the problem. Works great now.

Good luck

Reply to
risong

...thanks for the clues folks. Will check this out soonest. I did give the dimmer switch a quick couple of rotations first time this failure occured. It made no difference at that time, but, as you say, it could be the switch is on the way out....

Reply to
Pidgeonpost

I had this too (1992 9000 CS). It would sometimes respond (temporarily) to a heavy slap on the dashboard-top.

Went away completely after replacing several failed instrument illumination bulbs. To do his I had to remove the instrument pod, requiring removal (and reinsertion) of several multi-way connectors, one of which could have been the cause of the problem. I also removed and inspected the connector to the dimmer rheostat at the same time. It looked fine, but could have benefited from removal/replacement.

So, if looking at the rheostat connector doesn't yield a result, maybe the next thing to try is fiddling with the connectors to the instrument pod. This is accessible after removing the dashboard lid.

Reply to
SAABurger