9000 hand brake adjustment?

I'm sure this has come up before...

How do I tighten the handbrake on my 9000CS or How do I search the group for old posts relating to my problem?? thanks

Reply to
Nasty Bob

I never had to tighten the hand brake on all of my 9k's. If your hand brake doesn't work because you have just replaced your rear calipers, just keep pulling and releasing the handle. Or park it on level surface for a few days. Time will make parking brake work again with sufficient number of pulls and releases. The 9k hand brake is self-adjusting. When you pull the hand brake, it advance a worm gear set up to squueze the rear pistons to effect parking brake. If your parking brake doesn't work and you have not done anything to the rear brakes, that's usually an indication one of the rear caliper piston is stuck. When the piston is stuck, pulling the handle won't advance the piston anymore and won't effect parking brake.

Reply to
yaofeng

That's interesting.. I just had the *front* discs and pads replaced.. and a front caliper. Do you think I've now got a problem with a back caliper?? I'll keep trying to apply the handbrake and see if it auto-adjusts. On my last MOT they listed "adjusted handbrake" - does that mean they just kept pulling the hand brake until it worked????

Thanks

Reply to
Nasty Bob

The front brakes have nothing to do with the parking brake. I think you know that. If pulling and releasing won't make the parking brake work again, you need to have it looked at.

The official method of replacing the caliper is to advance the pin on it so it just touches the piston after install so you won't have a loose hand brake. I am lazy. So I use the pull and release, or time will make it work again method.

Reply to
yaofeng

On the inside of the rear calliper is a 14mm hex plug, remove this and using a 4mm allen key down the hole adjust up until the pads start to grab the disc and then back off half a turn. HTH, Tom

Reply to
saabtech

Cheers Tom - that's exactly the bit of info I'd been looking for. Many thanks

Reply to
Nasty Bob

As bad as the Haynes manual is, it does tell you how to do this.

Jack up rear, take off both wheels, be sure to use jack stands and observe all safety rules.

Be sure the handbrake levers on both calipers are free. If not, caliper needs to be replaced.

There is a metal bolt cover over the adjustment hex screw. Remove, screw hex in til it stops, back out 1/4 turn or until disc turns. Replace bolt cover.

Remove brush cover over handbrake lever. Adjust cables so that the levers at the caliper relax so that there is 1 mm clearance when relaxed between the lever and the stop.

Replace wheels and let car down.

Be sure car rolls freely when brake is off and stays put when it is on.

Put back brush cover.

Just did it on my 92 9kT.

Charles

Reply to
Charles

OK - Thanks everyone. Just got my air flow meter replaced (so I no longer stall in the middle of the road at busy junctions:) I'll have a go at the handbrake this weekend and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for all your help Cheers

Reply to
Nasty Bob