9000 heated seats

I have a '97 9000 CS Aero, around early January both front heated seats stopped working within a day or so of each other. When I had the car serviced in early February I asked the garage to check why the heated seats were not working [I had already checked the fuse and the power plugs under the seat and they were OK] Imagine my surprise when they told me that the elements were open cicuit on BOTH seats. How common is it for these to burn out? Anyway, the cost of repair would come to some £500 to £600 if I remember correctly. Any cheaper solutions or suggestions? Regards Richard Sheffield UK

Reply to
Richard Slodyczak

They do not burn out, the heater wire usually just breaks.

That is a lot of money, some people buy a complete SAAB for that amount (not a '97 9000 though...)

You can do it yourself, take the cover off the seat and the back rest, take out the heater wire grid and find where the break is, then splice the broken ends together or find a replacement grid at a salvage yard (probably any SAAB will do).

------- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

Reply to
MH

As MH said. I did both drivers seats on my 9000's in a couple of hours. One on an Aero and the other cloth. The only difference with the aero is that you have to move the seat control box out of the way.

There's only half a dozen or so retaining clips that hold the leather down, just lift it up and look for the burn mark. Scrape back the fabric a little, solder in a very short lenth of wire (I did this to avoid the solder joint becoming stressed) and then recover and fit.

Really quite a quick job.

Here for full details

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

If you don't feel like attempting a repair, you could bid on this

but of course, there's no guarantee that a) it works or b) it isn't about to fail too.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor