9000 info display darker

The orange info display in my 1993 9000 CSE is getting darker, it's now difficult to read while driving. Any ideas?

Reply to
Johannes

Check the illumination bulbs. When it happened on my ACC display, a bulb just needed wiggling. On others I've seen, the bulbs can go silvered and need replacing.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

It's most probably due to the light dependant resistor in the analogue clock or SCC trip computer. It can be quite difficult to replace, so you might be better off buying a second hand unit. Plenty show up on eBay.

Reply to
tobyfield

There are three lamps in the electronic display unit (EDU). Its possible that one or more are burned out but usually if one is gone the lighting is uneven. The intensity of the info display is controlled by a phototransistor circuit in the clock/trip computer. If the clock/trip computer display is getting faint as well then it is most likely a defective phototransitor. It is a common complaint. I replaced mine with the only phototransitor Radio Shack stocks. It does not have quite the same specs as the original so the display is a little brighter than it should be but it still dims at night. Details on its replacement can be found with a search of the 9000 forum at

One of the posts is in my name (R. Frist). Good luck.

Reply to
R. Frist