9000 NCT(MOT) Failure

My 94 9000CS 112000mls has failed its NCT (MOT ). It failed on Steering Wheel Play --Bushes Worn, Steering Wheel Play --Bearings Worn and windscreen washer ---not working . I think dirt got into the washer reservoir and blocked the jets. I would try to sort that one but will refer the steering problem to my local (good ) mechanic. The car still drives great and I want it to pass the resit . Any advice on obtaining replacement parts from UK supplier(s) or other pointers would be appreciated.

Reply to
PeterC

Check the tie rod end ball joint first for steering wheel play.

The most likely cause for washer fluid not coming out of the nozzle is the diaphragm broke. It is very simple to fix. Open the plastic check valve with a utility knife splitting it between the seam. You'll find a thin round rubber disk. It is likely torn. If it is, just cut a small piece from a used latex glove to replace it. Use the opened check valve as a template and a pair of scissors to make the new rubber disk. Of course a blocked nozzle cannot be ruled out either.

Reply to
yaofeng

If you find you're out of latex gloves, I heard you can use a condom instead... ;)

Reply to
Nasty Bob

Latex gloves ,condoms,whatever - I will check this out and hopefully that will take care of the problem. As regards the steering it is more like the steering wheel itself is loose and also there is play backwards and forwards on the steering column downwards . Does that make any sense? Haynes talks about steering column lower bearing renewal .Could that be the problem and if so where would I get a replacement bearing ?

Reply to
PeterC

Being a cheapskate, I would not use a new condom. Neither would I touch a used condom.

Reply to
yaofeng

You need a 22mm socket to remove the steering wheel. Disconnect batter first if you want to try it yourself. My understanding is the steering column is quite robust. Guess this is something for your mechanic if it is over your head.

Went to the UK last April for a week. I was very impressed with the overall good condition of the cars on the road. Didn't see a clunker at all, not even one. Must be because of the notoriety of the MOT, whatever it is.

Reply to
yaofeng

As regards the steering it is more like the steering wheel itself is loose and also there is play backwards and forwards on the steering column downwards .

I don't suppose it would be something as simple as tightening the steering wheel up/down adjuster underneath the wheel.... No? OK didn't think so..

Reply to
Nasty Bob

In message , yaofeng writes

Being a Catholic I guess I can rule out totally the use of condoms...

Reply to
Andrew Sinclair

Can't imagine that there would be a problem using it as a car part... Of course, if you run into the Padre while you're buying 'em, well, here. Look at it this way. You're buying 'em to use as car parts, to save someone else from buying them for their intended purpose. Or something like that.

Besides, condoms come in 3 packs (even single, in vending machines in some bars), where gloves come in boxes of 100.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I've never come in a glove... (sorry)

Reply to
Nasty Bob

I think the reason for the dramatic rise in the quality of cars on the UK roads are twofold.

1) Petrol is 90 pp/L. All the older junky gas guzzlers have been wrecked and it is more cost effective to replace your car with a more fuel efficient one as the new cars are cheaper with taxes/fees and profits dropping as a result of competition and the EC integrations progression. 2) Everyone is "Rich" now that Mortgage rules have been relaxed (well everyone will be rich until the interest rates rise that is) You can get a car with £99 down and only £99 a month.

I've been through a few MOT's (safety & pollution checks here in the UK) they seem about the same as US/CDN safety/emmission checks.

Also the environment helps somewhat. Imagine a car from Oregon or Washington State, that's what it's like here.

Reply to
joe schmoe

This thread has gone to places that could not have been forseen .....a long way from the chapelroad. I will keep you posted on progress.

Reply to
PeterC