9000 Speedometer failure and stalling

Today my speedometer failed with the needle not moving at all. Odometer doesn't work either. And, the car stalled a couple times when idling at stoplights. Here's the less comfortable part... couldn't seem to downshift into 3rd, although all the gears seemed to be working normally otherwise. So with fanciful optimism I'm hoping that the speedometer failure affected the engine management system and caused the stalling (seemed to be idling a little low as well) and somehow that related to engine speed when downshifting and it's a cable or sensor issue or other relatively low cost solution. But, am more concerned that it's the speedometer gear in the transmission that maybe fragmented and affected 3rd gear -- leading to a the unseemly prospect of a transmission related mega-cash drain next week. Any thoughts as to the likelihood of either of these scenarios or anything else to look for? Car was serviced yesterday with a vacuum hose replaced, which might make me wonder about the stalling if the speedo wasn't involved.

Reply to
Echo088880