9000s 1989 with strange problems

Saab 9000S 1985cc petrol with Bosch fuel injection. Symptoms: intermittent misfire with associated loss of power and increased fuel consumption. Usually occurs a few miles after starting from cold - most noticeably under acceleration, particularly below around 2000 rpm. No problem starting. Misfire can be absent for a day or two at a time.

Actions taken so far: changed rotor arm, distributor cap, plug leads; put in new spark plugs, blown out fuel filter, put jet cleaner in fuel, and checked timing. Further possibilities I can think of: water in fuel, choked tank breather. Anyone got any more?

TIA

Jeremy remove not me top reply

Reply to
Jeremy

Is there a small oil smudge around the bottom of the distributor?

Reply to
Dexter J

What year?

Reply to
Fred W.

There are lots of possible causes, some listed here

- distributor vacuum advance not working correctly

- ignition module, ignition pulse amplifier (does tacho remain steady or begin jumping down to 0 when problems ?)

- turbo pressure limit switch

- fuel injector pressure regulator

- air mass meter

I have had similar problems with -85 and -88 turbo models, caused by distributor rotor and ignition pulse amplifier.

br Vesku

Reply to
Vesku

It is in the subject line :-)

JJ

"Fred W." wrote:

Reply to
Jeremy

The revs change but the tac is not giving false readings and the amplifier has been changed.

No turbo on this model

Reply to
Jeremy