900i with LPG - is it possible? how?

Hi everybody

In a few days I'll get a Saab 900i '87, I hope. Considering petrol price nowadays, I'll need an LPG installation.

but...

Some people from workshops I've called said they won't do LPG in a car with a mechanical injection. I know it's possible, but it needs to have some protection installed in a case of small gas explosions when it sometimes moves back from the cylinders, to prevent destruction of the element which doses gas (I'm not sure of it's english name - throttle?). So, from what I've heard, mounting safety valves on a saab commutator is difficult because of it's round shape (strict tightness is needed). Also, some manufactured safety devices doesn't fit into saab pipes because of their small diameter.

I would be really, really grateful for any sugestions on how to resolve it. Maybe there's a good, clean solution, and those guys just didn't think of it (saab isn't to popular here).

thanks a lot

snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMtlen.pl

Reply to
Amiran

Come to NL, or B or I where LPG was/is used, also in Saab turbos. Advanced,

3rd generation LPG systems no longer have an evaporator but use computer controlled liquid LPG injection.

See

------ MH

Reply to
MH

I know, thanks, it's used widely also in Poland, but it would cost twice the car's price while I'm considering lpg because of economical reasons (still studying). so I have no other choice than 2nd generation solution (btw. I have 900i without turbo).

greets Amiran

Reply to
Amiran

so my question remains - how to install 2nd generation lpg in saab 900i engine (no turbo), namely - how to prevent gas explosions destroying air flow system? Gas injection in liquid phase is quite a new solution, so maybe there are people with older LPG installations in 900i?

thanks a lot amiran

Reply to
Amiran

Hi Amiran,

I live in Holland. I drive a 1989 Saab 900i on LPG.

Funny: I was thinking of getting the LPG system out, because I dont drive enough to justify the extra tax they charge for a car with LPG over here. Or maybe even sell the car altogether. (Lucky me I still have Sven the good old 1980 99 ... :-)

What exactly do you want to know? I can simply open the hood (bonnet) and have a look for you.

REgards, Richard.

Reply to
OKOK!

hello!

I would like to know where were security valves installed (between air filter and the engine, I guess). If you have a digital camera maybe you could send me some photos of this wicked thing? It could be easier than trying to describe it, and I could show them to mechanic which would install lpg.

thanks a lot!

amiran @ tlen dot pl

Reply to
Amiran