91 9000 idle and starting help needed

Hi. We have a friend who's 9000 "will start right up first thing in the morning but after it warms up it will not idle. I give it gas and it clears up. If I turn it off it will start right up, but if I turn it off and let it sit for 15 minutes or longer I think the engine is flooded. I have noticed that I am getting poor gas mileage, per tank full. I don't know if there is a cold start injector or if there is a fuel regulator in the fuel system." Any suggestions from the group? Thanks...

Reply to
Keyser Soze

With such poor running there should be a 'check engine' diagnostics output. I suspect the ignition cassette, but it could be many things.

Reply to
johannes

My 1991 9000 Turbo started acting oddly also. No "check engine" light, but it would always stall about a mile away from my house. It turned out to be a weak temperature sensor for the fuel injection system - about US$5 and readily available at most car parts stores. It is on the firewall side of the engine and a bit obscured. The temperature sensor on your friend's car might be malfunctioning in the opposite mode, which would cause the fuel injection to run rich (in keeping with the flooding and poor fuel economy) because it thinks the engine is cold. Keep in mind that this is a separate sensor than the easy to access one for the instrument panel temperature gage, and these sensors have different part numbers and electrical connectors. Good luck.

Reply to
Walt Kienzle

Thank for your input.

Reply to