'92 9000 CS Wet Floor...

Hi Guys - Ever since I bought my J reg 9000 CS 2l (non turbo :( a couple of years ago, the driver's floor carpet has been damp. I've tried lifting up the carpet as best I can, but can't see any reason for it. There are no visible holes in the bodywork / floor, and it's wet even if the weather is dry (pretty rare for Scotland)... I never saw the carpets when they were new, but they might be stained a light blue colour, similar to the windscreen wash? My rear windscreen wash stopped working a couple of months ago.. d'you think the feeder tube is routed under the carpet and is leaking?? My car doesn't have air conditioning fitted which I believe can also cause this sort of problem.

Hope you can help - I've queried this at my last 2 MOT tests and services (non Saab garage) but nobody seems to have a clue or can't be bothered to find out what's going on. I think the carpet is starting to rot and smell a bit...

CHeers

Reply to
Nasty Bob

Can't help you on finding the source of the moisture. But I know the washer fluid hard plastic tube is routed on the passenger side above the window on the edge of the headliner (US spec.). Don't know if SAAB switches side for LH drive cars.

The color of padding for the carpet on my wrecked 94 9kcs is beige.

That aside, I am very impressed with SAAB car body rust resistance to persistent moisture.

Reply to
yaofeng

Thanks for that tip about the tube routing - hopefully on same side on my car, so I'll have a poke about above the window.... Hear what you say about the rust. My wife's Ford is Fiesta must be 5 or 6 years younger than the Saab, and it has rust problems.. thanks

Reply to
Nasty Bob

is your car a manual or auto?

Reply to
es

Manual...

Reply to
Nasty Bob

and if it is a manual how is the clutch feel?

Reply to
es

I'd say it feels stiff - but it always felt that way.. it's the only Saab I ever drove so can't really compare??

Reply to
Nasty Bob

I have three 9k's, two '94 and one '95. They are all 5 speed. I converted one of the '94's to 5 speed. I'd say compared to the Honda Civic I owned years ago, they are stiff. And the Honda uses a cable.

Reply to
yaofeng

look right behind the clutch and you will see the clutch master cylinder feel around there if that's where its coming from

Reply to
es

OK I'll try that tomorrow and get back to you - Cheers

Reply to
Nasty Bob

Also, smell the liquid and try to describe it, and/or compare it to the brake/clutch reservoir.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

No obvious smell ... I'll try what you suggest and get back to you tomorrow... Are we starting to think the clutch pedal could be losing fluid into the carpet?? That might make sense.. presumably even a small amount could spread out and would tend to hang around, unlike water???

Reply to
Nasty Bob

Happens, common failure mode of clutch m/c, one of the only fluids in that part of the car, and not being green is a good clue of what it isn't.

Yes, and for added excitement, it dissolves paint and absorbs water. Oh, Joy.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

If you wash the carpets and change to Halford's screen wash and they end up tinted green instead you'll know for sure ! ;-)

Incidentally my rear wash ( also 9k ) doesn't work although I can hear a pump motor run and there isn't a blockage at the wash nozel end but I haven't had this problem.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I rather imagine that a 9000 needs a somewhat larger clutch than a Honda Civic ! :-)

That tends to make it heavier - but not 'stiff' as such.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Yes. Much larger. I can handle a Honda 5 speed transmission with my two hands. Of course that was when I was younger. The SAAB 5 speed is a beast.

Still the cable actuated Honda clutch is very light compared to the hydraulic SAAB clutch.

Reply to
yaofeng

#1 make sure that the aquarium drain is clear.there is a rubber snout coming out of it at the approximate center of the car. If you look on what appears to be the firewall just behind the intake manifold, you should see a rubber snout with a flap on it. Make sure this is clear. Also, you may want to remove the aquarium cover to see if it is full of tree detritus. Remove it as best you can. I do not think that the 9k A/C drain runs through the car, so this is probably not an issue. if that is not it, your sunroof drain may be disconnected or clogged as well. check by running a small stream of water down the drains with it open. Make sure they drain and that it runs out in the wheelwell.

It could be a M/C leak. This may gross you out, but I would stick my finger in it and taste it. Pretty good test. Death does not happen immediately. :-) If it tastes like brake fluid, replace the master cylinder and the clutch hose while you are at it. Never looked at a RHD

9k, but I am guessing that the m/c is on the pedal mechanism like on our LHD cars here in the US.

KeithG

Nasty Bob wrote:

Reply to
KeithG

Do you find you have to top up the brake fluid reservoir recently? That'll be you indication the fluid is leaking. You can rule it out as a suspect if the fluid level in the reservoir isn't dropping.

Reply to
yaofeng

On C900's, if the carpet on the left hand side (UK passenger side) got wet, the heater matrix control valve was defective, and you are getting engine coolant gradually dripping down.

Do you have a 9000 manual, that shows wether the heater matrix is directly behind the dash, as it is on a 900? Could be the same thing. Unless you were a Yoga elite who could strip a rifle blind fold, the C900 one was a full dash out job. But it could be done with the dash in, if you had the above qualifications/experience.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar