'94 9k CSE radio head unit install

I've already posted question concerning this topic, but having finally gotten around to actually doing it, I've run into a few more problems. Please see the following image:

On the power plug (C), I'm not quite sure what is what. Any corrections are appreciated. I've no idea what the blue wire is:

1: Gray - Constant/battery? 2: Blue: No idea 3: [Empty] 4: Red - Switched/ignition 5: Black - Ground 6: Green - Antenna 7: [Empty] 8: Brown/White - Panel light

A few more questions, assuming the above is correct:

The harness from my head unit has two wires with 15A & 3A fuses for memory. Can I splice them both into the gray?

Has anyone tried splicing into the blue cable (H) leading to the rear amp. If so, does anyone know the wiring? Inside the cable there is a black, orange, and brown wire as well as a thicker dark gray wire containing a green and gray wire with along with loose copper wiring.

Thanks for your help. This is for my wife's car, and if I am able to install it myself she will think I'm a real mench!

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

I'd take it to a real mench if I were you. What you tell your wife is between the 2 of you ;)

Reply to
Nasty Bob

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

You're welcome ;)

Also found this, which might prove even more useful... there's even a handy-looking diagram if you follow the link.

Speaker plug: Red - rh front Blue -rh front green - lh front brown - lh front red/violet - rh back blue/violet - rh back brown/violet - lh back green/voilet - lh back

The power plug pin out is as follows:

1 ? Automatic sound? 2 Radio mute 3 Sub out 4 RED Permanent 12V 5 GREEN Aerial control 6 BRN/WHT Lighting 7 GREY?? Switched 12V / Ignition 8 BLACK Ground

I believe the middle connector block (B) is for a CD changer...

Reply to
Nasty Bob

Thank you, Bob. Don't know how I missed it in my searching. Although the wiring seems to vary from year to year (power plug is totally different), I think I would be better off bypassing the amp because the new head unit is likely too powerful. So much for what seemed to me the elegant solution.

Took a chance last night with what I considered the most likely correct configuration. Everything is working with the power plug (as per Dave's advice from Jan. 22 -- Thanks, Dave) as well as the front speakers. Although the antenna's last section no longer extends, the radio is pulling in 2x the stations it ever did before. Very glad I didn't pay the "mench" the $70/hour he quoted for at least several hours. Always seems that even if it's a 1994 Saab, they always see dollar signs in their eyes when you pull in.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu