'94 Saab 9000 CSE - not starting

I hope this is not a red herring, but about four years back, I had a problem with the engine cranking but not firing. I checked the fuses, and the mere act or pulling and replacing seemed to miraculously fix the problem. It happened a few more times within the same month, and the problem never recurred until this past week.

I towed it to the local mechanic. After a lecture on what a pain Saabs are to work on, he said it must be the fuel pump. He says he found no power in the fuse slot for the fuel pump and jumped it from another slot. He claims the pump made a banging noise and didn't run--but no power to the pump and the pump failing at the same time seem doubtful to me. Could there be a relation?

I'm taking Quasimotors' troubleshooting guide for the fuel system relays and ECU to him tomorrow, but if anyone has a crack diagnosis, you might save me some time and money.

Thanks.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Did it mysteriously vanish then or did you not put the fuses back properly ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

My guess is that the DI is the cause of your non-starter. I diagnosed it by sniffing around the DI, there was a slight 'burnt electronic' smell around the DI. The DI is easy to replace if you order one over the internet. I have replaced 2 DIs over 140k miles, that makes 70k on average. Make sure that you tighten the 4 screws at just the right amount, or one of them will work loose. If that happens, then No2, No3 and No4 will soon follow to the exit.

Reply to
johannes

It was just a matter of pulling them out and checking for a break and replacing them. None were blown, but the car started after. I think it might have had something to do with the after-market starter being spliced into the harness.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

I've asked the mechanic to order the fuel system relays first. I guess if they don't solve the problem, the DI is the next logical step, then the pump itself.

I would appreciate it if you have a source for the DI. The regular parts supplier I deal with doesn't have it.

Thanks.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

?searchResults=1&code=10644

Reply to
MH

Yes, it could be a failing DI. But check the spark plugs (the cheapest) first as old and worn spark plugs could cause these symptoms, too.

Reply to
ngu

But engine cranking and not firing? Surely, only of the spark plugs would fire and you would see the odd puff of smoke.

Reply to
johannes

Thank you very much.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

No indication of any firing at all.

Just spoke to the mechanic. He is going to first examine junction box and where auto starter was spliced into wire harness.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu
[snip]

Assuming you are in North America, if you get desperate, mail order from AutoZone is another source (although not the best price):

Walt Kienzle

Just to confirm, the mechanic called SAAB and they helped him troubleshoot. Turns out to be the DI cassette: acrid smell, blackened silicone, and no juice. But just why are they so much cheaper in the UK? Has anyone had experience with ElkParts.com?

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Not with Elkparts, but FWIW; I've bought stuff from partsforsaabs.com and had it sent to Spain; no problem.

Reply to
MH

Thanks. I decided to spend a couple of hundred extra with local distributor to avoid shipping costs, customs, and the three to four weeks it might take.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

DI unit was the problem. It ran beautifully for a week, then it stalled. Could it have been a defective replacement part perhaps? I'm very depressed. I've loved this car, so I put $1000 this past month. Now she's betrayed me.

Thank you all for your help.

Shrdlu

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu