'96 9000 - transmission fluid all over driveway!

Ack!

I came out of the house this AM to find a HUGE puddle of trans fluid under my '96 9000 lpt with 100k miles.

I only had time to pop the hood and could see fluid where the two halves (top and bottom) of the transmission meet. Not sure if that's where the problem is or only a symptom.

Anyone have an idea how much $$ this is going to cost me?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

P.S. I'm stopping at the store for kitty litter on the way home - hope it doesn't permanently stain the driveway...

Reply to
ed.hackney

So let me get this right... you're driving the car around after it leaked a lot of the tranny fluid out?

Are you dying to replace the whole transmission for some reason?

Get it into a repair shop before further damage occurs. Whatever the cost to repair, it isn't getting any cheaper by continuing to drive it around...

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

No Fred, nobody could possibly be that stupid...........could they?

Al

Reply to
Al

Yes Al, yes I was (99 GLE Borg box) ...

OP - it is likely that you have somehow warped, hit or over pressurized the pan causing the gasket or sealer bead to squeak..

In the first and third instances, you need to have a look at the fluid and filter and check who last performed the service. It is possible that whoever did the work last time didn't use the torque table to refit the pan. This is not uncommon at jiffy transmmission places.

In the second instance - you need to have ask a sometimes difficult and pregnant question regarding recent driving experiences amongst your family.. Almost greater care is required here - remember, very few folks deliberately go out of their way to bust the family car.

In all cases - park it at whoever does your service this evening and leave it there until they can go over it.. You may have to visit twice depending

- stay *off* the turbo for a while until you can confirm normal function.

Reply to
Dexter J

Thanks for the tips, all. Don't worry, I didn't drive it - it's not my only car. The long and the short of it is that I will have it towed to my friendly neighborhood Saab dealer and hope it doesn't cost too much. I bought my 9000 used with 85k on it - I really didn't expect the trans go go at 100k.

Reply to
ed.hackney