'97 900 SE Turbo - Brake light problem

I'm hoping someone here may know how to troubleshoot this.

When I started the car the other morning, the "Brake Light Failure" message came up. I immediately drove to Kragen's and bought new bulbs. Replacing the bulbs didn't fix the problem. So I replaced the fuse. Didn't fix it. So I backed up to the store's glass windows and stepped on the brakes. In the reflection, I could clearly see that the driver's side brake light was on all the time, the passenger's side only when I stepped on the brake.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? How did you fix it?

Many thanks!

- Chris (who doesn't have time to take it to a shop)

Reply to
chris

Sounds like it might be an earthing problem. Check the rear loom around the boot to check that the points at which it is earthed by connection to the body/chassis are good and not corroded.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bennett

Will do - Thanks Peter!

Reply to
chris

No problem, good luck!

Reply to
Peter Bennett

Worth looking at the wiring diagrams in Haynes to see how logically a brake lights can be on all the time. Maybe a relay or something.

Reply to
johannes

I don't have a diagram handy, but on this year I think anything that requires a "relay" is shuttled through the ICE unit (and you won't find a relay). Brake lights might be an exception.

For the OP - see Amazon.com if you are in the USA, look for a Haynes manual. You won't find them many places as they have to be imported from Europe.

Reply to
still me

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

Brake switch - purple - to 43 on TWICE

1 on TWICE - yellow/white - to R brake light 24 on TWICE - to high level brake light 25 on TWICE - blue/orange and orange/blue? - to L brake light Blacks to earth E8, below left hand A-post.
Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith