97 9000 CSE Turbo timing chain replacement

Point being, how much warning, how much rattle, what does "change me" actually sound like? I have a rattly chain but will it go on for 10k?

50k? 100k?

Should I change it?

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

This is much simpler than you're making out. If your chain is rattling it's because it is no longer in tension. This is because a) the tensioner isn't working properly, b) the guides are worn or c) the chain is stretched beyond the tensioner's max. extension.

You (or your mechanic) need to identify the cause. if it's c, then you need to replace the chain.

Reply to
Grunff

OK, so if you have one making the rattling noise, yeah, plan to change it in the next month or so to be safe. That's the time to do it, not "There's 80,000 miles on it so I'll do it just in case".

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Seconded. And change the water pump while it's in for chain.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Sure but either way I don't know if the sprokets are worn and i've seen pictures of sprokets that are worn right down. I agree, it's not as simple as just working out if the chain needs replacing.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

The chain on my 1991 2.3 t broke at 115k!!!!!!!!! It had been serviced at SAAB at 115k. There did not seem to be much warning!!!! Good luck Richard

Reply to
RICHARD HUGHES

"RICHARD HUGHES" skrev i en meddelelse news:NjTJc.417$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...

AGAIN! Saab had probs with the 9000 2.3 model from 1989 to 1992 (incl.). And we're NOT talking about one of those models here.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

Again, mine's a 1993, it rattles, should I get it changed?!

Simply my point is that it's way too simple for people to state here that the the chain goes on forever and then a bit silly to fall back and say "oh you'd better get it checked!" when they should have said that in the first instance.

:)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Yes, in the next month or two, as several of us have said.

We did.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I'll get right on it then! :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Our 1985 900T has 282,000 miles on its chain. The injectors are a little noisy but the chain is still quiet.

Just change the oil at half the recommended intervals. The timing chain should be very low on your list of concerns.

R. Frist

Reply to
Ramsey Frist

Very good performance, but difficult to say if this mileage applies to all models and all drivers.

What interval are you using?

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen