98 900SE Turbo - Cant open the Hood (bonnet)

A month ago I bought this from a Toyota dealer. Never knew I wanted a Saab. I love my new toy. The Problem: I've had the hood open a few times. The last time I had difficulties getting it open. Now I cant get it to open at all. The lever feels like the cable is disconnected or broken. How can I get to the latch to get the hood open so I can see what needs to be fixed or replaced?

Lee

Reply to
LeePC

Since you are in distress, I just took a look at my '97 NG900.

The first thing I would do is to remove the lever from the footwell area and pull on the cable hard to see if you can free it. If it's broken, you'll know that quickly. If it's stuck, you may be able to pull it enough to make the latch move. The cable only has to pull about 1/2" to open the hood.

If that doesn't work, I only see one other path. You are going to have to reach up and do it manually. It does not look like an easy reach. Put the car up on jack stands. From underneath, remove the 2.5"

*aluminum* pipe that runs across under the radiator. That's the intercooler pipe. It's held by pipe clamps. You might be able to just loosen the one at the driver's side and push it down and out of the way to work. DO NOT REMOVE THE SMALL ALUMINUM PIPES. Leave them alone. Once you get the IC pipe out of the way, you need to reach up to the latch area. Long arms required. The cable pulls a little lever that is no more than an inch behind and an inch to the (drivers) side of the giant pin that locks the hood in place. Pull that little lever 1/2" towards the driver's side and it should release.

If you get it open, remove the latch mechanism, the cable, the lever, and check it all for wear or problems. Repair whatever is broken. (In case you're wondering, this is not an expected problem, so there's no "standard" fix).

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob