99 9-3 S. AC system is working fine , but only normal uncooled or hot air comes thro the Vents? Me puzzled!

Lo,

I have a puzzling problem with the AC in my 99 Saab 9-3 S. (The model with manual air conditioning, not climate control!). It seemd to be not working at all so I called the local AC guy to come and look at it. I had hoped thought it would just need gassing up. Anyway he checked it out thoroughly and he said that it had plenty gas, plus the compressor was working generating a good pressure difference and in fact that the AC system was working fine. He could verify this by touching a metal pipe in the engine bay that was beside two heater pipes entering the interior of the car from the engine bay. The pipe was ice cold and had condensation on it and was supplying cold air to the ventilation system. Yet when we press the AC button on in the car we could see the compressor clicking on but the warm air from the vents just did not cool down coming into the car one bit. When we changed the temp dial to hot the air of course got really hot, but we could not get the air to cool at all no matter what airspeed or temperature we chose. The air did go from hot to cold but not with the cooling effect of the AC that you would expect from the ice cold temperature of the pipe from the engine bay. The AC guy said that somehow the cooler air is not reaching the vents in the car and that it would have to go to a Saab dealer for checking. Before I do this and have to fork out mucho dinero, has anyone come accross this problem before and is there a simple DIY solution. It could be just a stuck vent or something mechanical that even I could fix.. I bought this car in March when AC was not an issue but I did notice that the Nokia car kit is close to the central vents and the wife of the vendor told me it was a self install by her hubby. He did a neat looking job and it even links into the Radio muting when a call is made but I am wondering if this could be related to the AC not working properly.

Any thoughts are appreciated

jim

Reply to
Templenoe

responding to

erock007 wrote: simple replacement. experts at East of Sweden figured this out on my 00 viggen.

replaced exspansion valve. thermostat on exspansion valve toasted.

Lo,

Reply to
erock007