A New fix for Alternators on 900's

Before freaking out, the alternator might be okay and it could just be the voltage regulator, this is connected to the front of the alternator via two screws and is easily removed without taking out the alternator. Once removed you can measure the length of the regulator poles (5cm is minimum)and determine if the regulator needs replacing. Next, go to an auto parts supply store and buy the Bosch equivalent. Mine was under 30$cdn and the labour saved by not removing the alternator was enormous. Hopes this helps.

Reply to
waycoolstuff!

What year(s)?

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
waycoolstuff!

91alternator

Higher voltage? I doubt it, more likely higher amperage, which yes, does not effect the regulator required. I believe this is the same Bosch regulator used in Volvos from the early 80's up until at least the early 90's in alternators ranging from 55-100 Amps.

Reply to
James Sweet

As these cars use OEM parts from the same parts bins as other Euro cars I can confirm this is very true.

(Bosch is Bosch is Bosch, etc)

I'd add that augmenting your chassis' electrical grounds and cleaning metal to metal contact to enable better electron flow will often breath life back into poorly charging, dim head lighting, faulty marginal running cars.

TBerk