AC Compressor Leak

Anyone have any experience with leaky seals in a AC compressor? Had to top off the freon twice in 3 weeks. Shop man says compressor seals leaking slowly. Very expensive repair job ($900). Any good places to get a new compressor? Can it be replaced by DIY (me)? Good manuals for this job? Car is a 1997 900 SE 2.0 Turbo convertible. Love it! Paul M.

Reply to
Paul

saabturbo

You can replace the compressor but you must evacuate the system first then test/recharge it once you finish. Unless you're fully set up for a/c work in your shed it'll need to go to the shop anyway. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

If you can borrow a vacuum pump from someone that's the only special tool you'll need, I did the AC in my Volvo with normal hand tools and a fill kit from a local automotive store.

Reply to
James Sweet

If you can find a desiccant /filter ( dryer) it is very much worth while to install to get the last of the water out.

Water and refrigerant, under heat and pressure, can produce very disagreeable products.

Malcolm Mason

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

You can buy a rebuilt compressor for about 350 on saabsite .com. If you can install it yourself you can bring it to a local shop and set it charged for about 60 bucks shop around someone will do it for that price.

good luck papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK