Advice needed on a 9-3 purchase.

Hi Guys, I thinking about buying a year 2000 9-3 petrol with the 1985cc engine, 80k miles, from an elderly neighbor who has had to stop driving. To say this car is in pristine condition would be an understatement. But ... on tick over from cold there is a very very slight chain type rattle from the offside of the engine. The rattle dissapears at approx 1200 rpm and when hot. As I can't see any documentation regarding a cam belt change, my questions are: Does this engine have a chain or a cam belt ? If chain, is this very slight rattle anything to worry about ? Going off ebay prices, I am thinking of offering £3000 for the car, would you consider this to be a fair price as I do not want to rip the old guy off ? Car is in an unmarked showroom condition with FSSB, 7 stamps with many intermediate oils changes. Sorry to go on a bit but I only know about Peugeots and Puntos ! Any thoughts would be appreciated. TIA Dave G

Reply to
Dave G via CarKB.com

Dave G via CarKB.com schrieb:

The engine has a chain.

Reply to
Tilo Eilers

sometimes they do get a slight rattle when cold, not normally a problem, though 80K is a bit low for the chain to start making noises.

Could just be a worn chain guide or a touch of lifter noise...

Reply to
big dom

Thanks for the replies, I have bought the car !

Dave G

big dom wrote:

Reply to
Dave G via CarKB.com