advice wanted - purchasing 1991 900S Turbo convertible

I'd like advice on the 1991 Saab 900S Turbo convertible w/manual trans. What kinds of things should I look for, and what questions should I ask? Asking price is less than $4k but the car has 170K miles. Do Saabs generally have a problem with shift linkage? What problems were unique to the 1991 models?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

DK :!: :?:

Reply to
MercedesOwner

In 1999 I bought a 1991 turbo s 16v convertible for my wife with

170.000 KM on the clock for =80 9250. It was fully equipped with aero package (spoilers, suspension, aero 3-spoke wheels) and had 175 hp. Never been so happy with a car - at least every year someone asks me if we don't want to sell the car ! Had some problems though, installed two years ago a new roof (+/- 1000 Euro, installed). The airconditioning has given me some problems, the compressor failed (very expensive) but since a few years inoperative because all coolant leaked away. Don't need it anyway so never repaired - shouldn't be too expensive.

Engine and gearbox are fine, although it does not shift like a BMW. Engine seems to be bullet-proof. Leaks a bit of oil and coolant, but every car has to demarcate its territory... The engine/exhaust makes a beautiful sound, and it is a pleasure to drive around at low speed with the radio turned off.

This is a car I will never sell again. It is surely not a perfect car, and it's an older car, so no airbags etc, but my wife drives it daily (has now +/- 220.000 KM). Car is roomy enough for 4, has a large trunk.

I would go for a full-turbo version, with manual gearbox, not the low-pressure ones. And the models with aero-package are sooo much nicer (in my eyes).

regards, JB

Reply to
bunja

I have a 93 convertible so our models are very similar. I bough mine about

6 months ago with 160K on the clock for $3k. I could not be happier.

The trannys are the weak spots on these cars. Mine was completely rebuilt at 120k for $3,800. Ouch I feel sorry for the prior owner. I could have got it done for half that.

There was a recall on the convertible top that causes premature wear.

The convertible top issue was a "Service Directive." Since it was not a Campaign or a Recall, the repair was only covered while the vehicle was under new car warranty. I checked on the parts prices, they were less than $10 each. It may have already been done, just not correctly.

Good luck and I would not hesitate to purchase that car. I would pay to have it checked out for piece of mind.

"MercedesOwner" wrote in message news:BtCdnXG9qao_rnbZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Reply to
Greg

Very satisfying cars to drive, but some characteristic problems with older models to check when buying. One check, stop the car facing downhill (on a quiet road!) and reverse rapidly. Put your foot down. If it pops out of reverse, take $3,000 off your offer. Make sure you acellerate and decellerate rapidly in all the gears, to ensure none of them pop out under load. Gearboxes, if used over long periods by incompetent drivers, will fail prematurely.

Check carefully around, under and especially behind the motor for oil leaks.

WIth car parked, engine running, put your foot fown hard on the brake pedal and keep it down for about 10 seconds. If the pedal starts to go down slowly, take $600 off your offer.

Have a good look (and sniff) around the carpet beneath the clutchpedal. Any smell of brake fluid means expensive repairs.

Listen for any chirping or squeaking noises in the in the interior air con/heater fan.

Enjoy,

Cliff

MercedesOwner wrote:

Reply to