Aftermarket navigation

All,

I just splurged and bought a 9-3 Aero / Combi / Tour / Cold. This is my first new car and 2nd Saab.

The only thing I didn't get was Navigation b/c it didn't seem worth the extra 2K. Has anyone put an aftermarket Nav unit in the car? I'm just wondering how your experience was with that? It seems like it's a bit messy.

I've heard that with some of the new units, you get traffic info. If it matters, I live in the NYC area.

Thanks,

Josh

Reply to
Josh Kalish

I was quoted 2K for after sales install of Sat Nav - seems that it is painful to do with most of the dash coming out.

Go for a Tom Tom or Garmin - portable nav systems is where it's at.

IMHO

Reply to
mickx

2K for in-car navigation??!!! If you often get into your car and don't know where you're going, may I suggest a good map? And with most of them, you don't even need to remove the dashboard.

HTH ;)

Reply to
Nasty Bob

Reply to
mickx

Just to clarify, I'm not going to put anything into the dash. I want the separate unit, which is a lot cheaper. And, if it works, the traffic part will be really nice here in the NYC metro area. But, I'm wondering what works well with the 9-3 Aero interior as far as placement and connecting it up. I don't want cables all over the place or nasty glue marks.

Reply to
joshkalish

I echo the setniment of a separate unit. I have a Tom Tom, and it works great. Plus I truly just use it when I need it, it's not there wasting space thw whole time, and it will not be wasted money once I get a new car. Build-in satnav is totally overpriced in new cars. And the build-in systems are not as good as the separate units, which need to stay ahead of the curve to be appealing. I know people who have built-in satnav and use a separate, newer (and cheaper!) unit because it's far superior.

Incidentally, I still use maps. There are things a satnav can't do. They are destination, and not *journey* oriented. For fun weekend motorcycles rides maps and word of mouth still rule supreme.

...pablo

Reply to
pablo

You got that right. My navigation system is from Rand McNally and costs about $2 per state - when they don't just give them to you.

I fear the loss of map reading and intuitive navigation skills in mankind. Man has been navigating since the dawn of the humanoid - it's a valuable skill... get out there and work at it a little. Worst comes to worst you get lost for a little while - it's not that critical unless you're delivering donor organs.

Reply to
- Bob -

Reply to
mickx