All Weather Tires For SAAB 9 - 5?

I have bought a 2001 9 - 5 wagon with Michelin MXV4 215/55 R 16 tires.

The tires are rated "M and S" for mud and snow, but the Michelin dealer also describes them as a "performance" tire, and they can be very poor in snow.

215 cm. seems a very wide tread, and I questiion whether it allows enough down pressure for traction. I note that SAAB recommends 205 cm. for actual snow tires.

Has anyone had experience with the 215's in snow? I dont need super performance (I am very experienced with winter driving), but I want to be able to get places.

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
Dwight

I have an outstanding set of Artic Alpins mounted on Steel rims with hub caps. They are only 2 months old. No more worrying about winter, and no need to have them remounted every other season. They will fit your car and I only want $300 for them. The engine seized on our car, and I need to unload them. Email me if you are interested. Dave

Reply to
Dave

Opinions are like........well you know the rest. Here's mine. While driving a $30K car, one should not compromise on the "little things" to save a few bucks. Feed it Premium fuel. Lubricate it with Synthetic oil. Stick it to the road with four little patches of the best rubber for the seasonal conditions. Tires designed to be "sticky" at high speed on hot summer pavement are gonna SUCK on ice and snow as surely as a great winter tire will be rougher and sqealier when driven hard. Once you've driven a great set of rain tires in the rain, or ice tires on ice, you'll know why SAAB dealers do good business selling winter tire/wheel sets for $1100.

hyperdog

Reply to
Hyperdog

The M+S MXV4s are not strict performance tires designed for hot LA boulevard racing. I've used them for two winters in Michigan on a 9-5 wagon, in the 215/55/16 size, with very secure traction. Ditto for

225/50/16 Dunlop SP5000 ASY, another all-season performance tire.

Maybe snow tires would be significantly better, I don't know. But in SE Michigan snow, these tires have been good.

While

allows

super

Reply to
Ken Freeman

To add a bit, I am also very experienced in winter driving, having grown up in Chicago, with many years dwelling in Colorado and Michigan. Based on my skills, these tires do let me get places with appropriate driving for snow. If you are similarly experienced in everyday snow driving, I expect you know what I mean by that.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Freeman